Shark teeth from Big Brook, New Jersey

fossils_rock

Went on my first ever fossil hunt a few weeks ago in Big Brook, New Jersey. It was a wonderful time and a sunny day. I am new to fossil hunting, and hope to be back soon! In a few hours of searching, I found some belemnites as well as these two shark teeth, and would appreciate some help in identification. #1 is quite small (about 1cm in height), and #2 is a partial tooth:

Shark tooth #1:

From what I can find from the excellent NJ fossil websites, my best guess is either a sand tiger shark (Carcharias samhammeri) vs a small goblin shark (Scapanorhynchus texanus). I am not sure how to tell them apart?

shark-tooth-1-downscale.thumb.jpg.ce5a522173ed82e5640951de25a1b51f.jpg

Shark tooth #2:

I really like the color of this one. My best guess is a lateral goblin shark tooth?

shark-tooth-2-downscale.thumb.jpg.3ec31e7903a63e5018889ce169b40066.jpg

Big Brook NJ was a great spot for a novice fossil hunter to have a fun day. I did not venture far, and was unsure whether it was better to walk upstream toward the bridge or further downstream. Any tips would be appreciated!

Let me just say welcome to the forum from Teas. I'm not a shark tooth expert nor have I hunted fossils in NJ so I can't help with your ID, just wanted to extend a welcome.

The first tooth is a sand tiger shark I believe. Sand tiger sharks have roots that lack a nutrient groove in their root as prominent as a goblin sharks, and they also have roots that do not include include striations where as goblin sharks striations continue onto the root slightly.

As for the second tooth. Can’t tell :(

• I found this Informative 1

These sand tiger teeth from the Cretaceous and Paleocene make my head hurt when I try and identify them: heterodont as all get out, and the described species look so much alike.  In my NJ collection, I just leave these as Carcharias sp.  

Neither appears to me to be Scapanorhynchus.  But there are several here that are well-versed in this material. @The Jersey Devil @njfossilhunter

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

You are correct with the IDs, the first is Carcharias samhammeri and the second is a lateral Scapanorhynchus texanus crown.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal