Unknown tooth

Frank Eaton

Hi everyone, I’m new here and this is my first ID question post! 

I’ve found two of these in my searches, but this is the more interesting of the two with its lovely core. Pulled it out of a literal gravel pile near New Bern, NC. 

Thanks for the help!

Frank

B4DB36DC-5F9E-40A9-A39C-16882D7F20B5.jpeg

649FA2CC-EA2E-4439-96BF-8C9C26CDC7FC.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Frank!

I’m not 100% sure this is a tooth :unsure:

Can we have more shots from different angles? Also a ruler would be good for those of us that aren’t US ;)

Can we see pictures of the end? I suspect fossilized plant material but not sure what kind yet. ie pet wood etc...

I think Randy is on the right path with plant material.  Doesn't look right for a bone fragment either. IMHO

Whoa- ok. Here are some different views:

5F683AA3-4B3B-4633-9059-66E966A9AA9B.jpeg

5CFAA23D-5243-4CA5-BE62-D083BCF28555.jpeg

9357C642-FBB6-481A-817D-C8451BE3FE40.jpeg

Edited by Frank Eaton
Reached file upload limit

Try again now. Often if you go out of the topic and back in it will let you add more or if there’s a reply

Again, this is really the weirdest thing I’ve found, primarily because the darker core appears to be made out of a different material than the outside altogether. As I turn it over in the light, the center is almost - I don't know the word for it- opalescent. It is almost a metallic bronze hue.

The striations on on the outside appear to be regularly spaced. The original possibly conical object appears to have broken in half along the long axis. 

Again, this came from a rather typical Pungo pile full of typical Aurora spoil. 

Interesting fragment...Reminds me of a section of a whale tooth with that ribbed exterior texture/those interior chevrons.

Regards, Chris 

Me too Chris. My pictures kinda stink, but the dentine pattern is pretty unmistakable. The outside striations are what I’m hoping someone will recognize!