Rockjunkie717

I found these rocks at Black River Harbor and Little Girl's Point in Michigan a few days ago. It's driving me crazy not knowing what they are! Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20190817_115654-compressor.jpg

IMG_20190817_115226-compressor.jpg

4 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Pictures 1, 3, and 4 are coral.

Agreed. 

' shouldn't go with first impulse like that. :shakehead:

When corals are this water worn, it can be almost impossible to ID them to a species.  They appear to be rugose corals. Photo number two is a crinoid columnal.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Picture 2 is a crinoid columnal.

B1FE22B9-9BCF-4BA4-BFD1-6BC93E03DE7B.jpeg

Edit: Kane types faster than me. :) 

Edited by FossilNerd
  • I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thank you all so much! I'm beyond fascinated by all of this. I used to be an agate freak and now it's starting to shift lol.

I have a mold of a calyx with it's arms curled up in a way that looks much like the third photo.

I really wanted that to be what it was. 

1 hour ago, Rockjunkie717 said:

Thank you all so much! I'm beyond fascinated by all of this. I used to be an agate freak and now it's starting to shift lol.

If you have experience polishing agates, those coral pieces will polish nicely. You can even polish them by hand. There are videos and instructions online for polishing "petoskey stones" (devonian colonial rugose corals) that will show you how and will work for your finds.

I absolutely want and will polish these. I've been doing alot of research to find hot spots for coral pieces around Michigan and Wisconsin. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Rockjunkie717 said:

I used to be an agate freak and now it's starting to shift lol.

You can love both; I do!!

Favosites (Honeycomb coral) is fairly common on The Lake Michigan side of Door County

Horn coral (Rugosa) and chain coral ( Halysites) is also rather common there

there are some seams of coral in the area but most of the rock is fossil poor dolomite

20 minutes ago, grandpa said:

You can love both; I do!!

Agreed! I almost always come home with one or two nice geological pieces when I go out collecting. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I spent about 4 hours hunting and came home with at least 10 pounds of agates. I also found a beautiful honeycomb coral. Is empire mine as great as it's described?