Think it's a tooth, but should it be?

K-boy Cachers

17 August 2019

Shark tooth?

Lower Cretaceous - Walnut formation

Western Bell County, Texas, USA

I found this in the nearby park where I've found many of the normal central Texas fossils over the years (oxytropidocerous, salenia, parasmilia, heart urchins, gastropods, snails, etc.). My eyes tell me this thing looks a lot like a shark tooth. But my brain is trying to get me to disagree. Here's why I'm stumped:

1. While it makes sense that shark tooth fossils COULD be found in this area, along with all of the other sea life, we aren't known for turning up many teeth. In fact, I've not found any in this area yet and haven't really heard of others finding them around here either.

2. The shark teeth I have found in other areas, such as Post Oak Creek, have all looked . . . well, like fossilized shark teeth. This one looks like the chalky limestone in which it was found. Which has me wondering if it's a tooth or not.

I welcome your input.

Tooth Edge view 1.jpg

Tooth Back view.jpg

Tooth Edge view 2.jpg

Tooth Front view.jpg

I see why you might think this a shark tooth - right shape.  But no, it has the wrong composition to be a tooth.  An actual tooth will have an enamel tooth with a bone root.  Your spidy-sense is correct, this is chalky L/S in the shape of a tooth.

Sorry, not a tooth. No enamel. No bone texture to the "root" .

Suggestively shaped bit of limestone, I'm afraid. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me