A planted fake tooth??

El_Hueso

I am seriously stumped with this one. Maybe you folks can help me out. I found this during the weekend out near the bottom of the panhandle in the Jurassic Triassic undivided. It was found when sifting rubble through my mesh net and I won’t lie when I say I leapt with excitement when I found it.

but... the more I look at it the more it seems like there is something off about it. For one, I already tried looking up known dinosaur fossils found in that region of Texas and I cannot find a tooth looking similar to this one. This tooth also doesn’t have the same coloration that other fossilized Dino teeth seem to have. The distinction between the crown and the root looks odd to me, and finally, the tooth is conical, with no notable serrations. This led me to begin wondering if it was possibly a fake?? I have heard of people planting fake meg teeth along beach shores but never out in the middle of nowhere. The tooth is hard, and I’ve tried a scratch test to see if there was any paint or epoxy and it doesn’t seem to have any. 

So what do you guys think? Any help is appreciated!

25A16728-440F-4A0B-8E8F-9712A8574500.jpeg

6D3A0CDE-B93C-4EBD-9D14-BD63D3D3CAF3.jpeg

15657FFF-59F0-48FC-854D-20174BFFB59C.jpeg

2D5073D8-89CE-43F2-A2F9-C1A79F04E399.jpeg

It dosen't look like a tooth.  No enamel on the dark area where you are seeing a "crown".  Might be a burrow of some kind or one of Mother Nature's cruel jokes.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hmmm. This is a strange one. :headscratch:

Maybe one of the Dino junkies like @Troodon has some insight. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Is there any chance it could be from rocks that have a marine or lacustrine origin ? It looks a little like a crab part in concretion. 

Rockwood, I don't think so. That area isn't known for many marine fossils.

It seems the consensus is geological. Thank you guys for confirming it. I'll keep looking :)

1 hour ago, El_Hueso said:

near the bottom of the panhandle

What's a nice lady like you doing at the bottom of the panhandle?  :hammer01:

Had to help a friend of mine move into her new dorm in Lubbock and decided to make the best of the situation and try to go fossil hunting in some areas I had never gone on my way back home :D

I actually have a BA in History from that illustrious institution - Go Raiders!

Were you hunting in the "red beds" around Post?

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

I actually have a BA in History from that illustrious institution - Go Raiders!

Were you hunting in the "red beds" around Post?

Yep! But only briefly. I had to make the long drive back in time to get ready for the work week. I need to plan a dedicated trip back here one day.