Help with id of fossil teeth and other

LeviBess

22 hours ago, taj said:

Well, if you do not have access to heavy stuff ( pneumatic stylus and air abraser), il would recommend scalpel, mounted needles, very small chisel with hammer and a touch of HCL from time to time ( not directly on the fossil). Soaking the rock in water for a few days before beginning cannot harm and perhaps make things a little bit more easy. And again congratulations! ( let’s attribute this to beginner’s luck you won’t fetch such nice tooth every time)

thank you! I hope its NOT beginners luck :rolleyes: and thank you very much for all your help! Im excited to start prepping and see how it turns out, fingers crossed I dont destroy it..will be really careful. Will try to document it along the way.

I agree, the first tooth is likely Metriorhynchid, however I would like to see pictures of the other side to see if it could also be a small pliosaur. Does it have carinae (cutting edges) and striations on the other side? For the second tooth-like object, I would go with a Pinna bivalve, don't see any tooth features

The Tooth Fairy

On 2019-08-25 at 11:26 PM, Anomotodon said:

I agree, the first tooth is likely Metriorhynchid, however I would like to see pictures of the other side to see if it could also be a small pliosaur. Does it have carinae (cutting edges) and striations on the other side? For the second tooth-like object, I would go with a Pinna bivalve, don't see any tooth features

Thank you for your answer! I’m going to take new pictures of the « tooth » that is stuck when it’s been prepped maybe it will be easier too take a guess then. I looked up pinna bivalves but i don’t think it resembles at all. Time will tell. 

In the meantime here is some more pics of the loose tooth which have yet to be cleaned as well... and don’t have the best camera but hope this will help!

thanks

061C8281-594D-492C-87CA-3E3FEEB2F08E.jpeg

419969E4-BE6E-48AD-ABA0-79422F59F8CA.jpeg

FB1CC23B-9E97-4D79-9D7B-A62DEA2719BF.jpeg

182F4BE6-750D-4560-A0CE-F419BEA60777.jpeg

23CA59AA-6D90-4B58-9AD9-F8649A9EC6C4.jpeg

D57454EB-C901-4D76-8F7C-315846AB0292.jpeg

AAAC7D4A-61B3-401A-9365-AF48A839942D.jpeg

On 8/27/2019 at 4:30 PM, krabbhus said:

Tack för Ditt svar! Jag Kommer ATT TA Nya bilder på «tand» SOM Har fastnat Närs Det Har VARIT prepped kanske Det Blir lättare FÖR ATT TA EN gissning sedan. Jag tittade upp Pinna musslor män JAG Tror Inte ATT Det liknar alls. Tiden Får avgöra. 

Under Tiden here ÄR NÅGRA fler bilder på den Lösa tanden SOM Ännu Inte rengöras available ... OCH Inte Har Den bästa Kameran, män Hoppas ATT This Kommer ATT hjälpa!

kryssa

061C8281-594D-492C-87CA-3E3FEEB2F08E.jpeg

Anyone have any other guesses on this tooth?

Oops, sorry, forgot to respond. I see now that this tooth is not Metriorhynchoid Thallatosuchian, their teeth have pronounced carinae and are somewhat labio-lingualy compressed.  Look at examples from Callovian-Oxfordian of Russia

150517127318193-med.jpg

Also I doubt it is Teleosaurid Thallatosuchian (such as Machimosaurus), folds are too weak

Teeth-of-Machimosaurini-indet-from-Corallian-A-OUMNH-J40669-unkown-locality_W640.jpg

For a pliosaur the striations are quite weak, definitely not Liopleurodon or Pliosaurus, from what I've seen some mid-sized pliosaurs like Simolestes can have weak folds, but I'm not entirely convinced. Root shape however is different from ichthyosaurs, so I would still go with Pliosauroidea indet.

A- Liopleurodon, rest - Simolestes

150516934391118-big.jpg

"Pliosaurus" from Oxfordian of Yorkshire

Teeth-of-the-pliosaurid-reptile-Pliosaurus-grossouvrei-Sauvage-1873-A-B-and_W640.jpg

The Tooth Fairy

On 9/1/2019 at 4:42 PM, Anomotodon said:

For a pliosaur the striations are quite weak, definitely not Liopleurodon or Pliosaurus, from what I've seen some mid-sized pliosaurs like Simolestes can have weak folds, but I'm not entirely convinced. Root shape however is different from ichthyosaurs, so I would still go with Pliosauroidea indet.

A- Liopleurodon, rest - Simolestes

150516934391118-big.jpg

"Pliosaurus" from Oxfordian of Yorkshire

Teeth-of-the-pliosaurid-reptile-Pliosaurus-grossouvrei-Sauvage-1873-A-B-and_W640.jpg

Wow ! Thank you very much for all this information and taking the time to answer me with pictures and all. So nice! Looking at the pictures my self I can just agree with you. So happy for my tooth find!!