Coprolite???

Sauer

Hello

Trying to figure out if this is coprolite! Just one of the fossils  I found this last Weekend. I find most of my fossils  ironically while metal detecting. I'm new to the forum and look forward to talking and sharing!

20190821_182715.jpg

Hello and welcome to TFF from Austin.  I believe you have an iron concretion here, not a fossil.  It certainly is suggestive of coprolite, but just a look-alike.  I grew up in S.A. and collected many similar rocks in my youth thinking they were meteorites, but not that either.  Again, Welcome!

• I found this Informative 1

Hello and welcome from Kentucky! :) 

I agree. Looks a lot like an iron concretion to me. You mentioned finding it while metal detecting did it set off your metal detector?

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

10 minutes ago, Sauer said:

No did not set off detector, found while digging out the hole.

Hmmmm.... now I’m scratching my head... I would have thought that if it was an iron concretion the concentration of iron would have set it off. :headscratch:

Maybe not? I’m no detector expert or geologist, but it sounds logical. I’ve heard of  metal detector folks calling iron concretion and the like “hot rocks” because they will set off a detector.  It still does look like an iron concretion to me. Let’s wait for a few more opinions before making a definite ID.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

There may not be enough ferrous substance in it to set off a detector.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

All the fossils  I find in this one field are all that iron  color. Here is a mussel I found not to far from the other object

15665251021383331669628021074872.jpg

I sometimes find these iron oxide slugs embedded in the limestone in the Dallas area creeks.  Also not magnetic.  My magnet has zero affect.  Bummer! I thought I found a ancient meteorite. 

iron pyrite.JPG

Those started out as pyrite deposits, common finds in the Cretaceous L/S in Texas.  From what I can tell in the picture, it looks like this one has been altered to (likely) limonite or is in a transition state.

• I found this Informative 3