Caliguy

Hi all! Newbie to the forum. Found this item about 20-25 years ago. I’ve just reunited myself with it after re-discovering it at my fathers house, in his front yard. 

I found this in Agoura, California while hiking close to the 101 freeway. It was found on a hillside, elevation around 1200 feet (above sea level).Partially buried. Mastodon? Whale? Sloth? Rock? Hmmm. Hope the photos help. I apologize in advance for the lack of metric ruler. One of the photos is a magnified close up of the bottom side which shows what seems to be a cellular-like inner bone structure. Specimen also seems to have a tendon-looking impression or canal which leads me to believe it could be a lower leg joint?  I also wet the specimen with de-ionized water to show more definition. I can only submit 1 or 2 photos due to size limit so maybe I’ll do several posts.

Thanks for looking! 

779F0A72-E9B6-4957-8C58-EB45E6671847.jpeg

E3638CB6-610C-4DC9-B680-129BCBC9FC70.jpeg

Edited by Caliguy
Misspelling

Interesting find...not sure what you have there at first glance. 

Can you reshoot the 1st photo and see if you can get a sharper image? It does sort of look like weathered porous bone but the other photos seem more like a bryolith or concretionary mass with the irregular layering. Does the porous texture from the closeup show up in areas other than just the bottom?  Can you also put a couple drops of vinegar on it to see if it fizzes to help confirm its a carbonate type rock or not? 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks for the reply, Chris! Here’s some more snaps using angled light for better depth. 

I just did vinigar on the top rounded side, no bubbling. I then did some drops around the bottom where the cellular like structure is and did get small consistent bubbles. 

E6405E24-3D06-4A09-B754-C41C711017BD.jpeg

Just removed a small amount of the crust on the top. Then scratched some material and repeated acid test. It’s fizzy. 

7AF2A62A-4571-4610-A60B-9D5AB44B53D4.jpeg