hemipristis

hello folks,

I recently acquired a series of 3 teeth identified by the dealer as belonging to Coelondonta antiquitatis (woolly rhino) from 'Russia' (whatever that means).

The teeth are certainly from the rhino family (that's as close as I can personally get), but these particular teeth are huge, t least twice the size of any other woolly rhino (or Teleoceras sp. ) teeth that I have (sample size about 20), or any scaled photos of woolly rhino teeth and jaws with teeth that I've found online (note: lots of photos available online, few with scale, alas).

I've include two photos below showing the teeth, and a tape measure for scale.  Two additional photos follow that include a woolly rhino jaw with teeth and a separate tooth for comparison to these three

It got me wondering if these aren't from a woolly rhino but another member of the family?.  In scanning the Asiatic rhino family tree, Elasmotherium sp. (Pleistocene) and Paraceratherium sp. (Oligocene) are the only two that exhibit a notable size difference from ol' Woolly.  Unfortunately, there are maddeningly few images of teeth or jaws from these two animals, and nothing with scale that I can find.

Thoughts?  Any references to recommend?

thanks in advance!

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7542 (1).jpg

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

And for comparison: Top photo: one of the teeth in question vs a representative isolated tooth, of a size comparable to what I own and have been able to track down

IMG_7547.jpg

Bottom photo:  A Woolly jaw containing teeth comparable to the isolated tooth above

IMG_7544.jpg

George Santayana

No bites?  :P

George Santayana

No bites....:heartylaugh:

some of the antiquitatis got to a truly huge size like the tooth pictured below (from the web not mine sigh) my local rock shop also has a jaw section with teeth about the size of yours...(as close as I can tell from the pictures)

1BC1559C-640F-4DE8-9BD3-135A97723EFA.jpeg