Ooo... is dis bone?!

The Neanderoll

Hello - l just found this amongst the loose rocks on the beach.

It's a small village on the coast of Yorkshire. And isn't accessible except by scaling the cliff or walking a few miles along the beach.

The cliffs here are made of clay deposited during the last ice age clay - so they're a real mix of rock types.

This block was pre broken. I saw some light shapes on the reverse and found these when I flipped it over.

I want to believe these are vertebrae so bad! But I turn to the immense collective knowledge of the fossil forum :D

What have I got here? 

20190824_180842-01.jpeg

20190824_195342-01.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, that's definitely bone. :) Ichthyosaur vertebrae mainly, and most likely Upper Lias (Lower Jurassic). The hour glass shape is distinctive.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

7 minutes ago, TqB said:

Yes, that's definitely bone. :) Ichthyosaur vertebrae mainly, and most likely Upper Lias (Lower Jurassic). The hour glass shape is distinctive.

OMG OMG OMG! :yay-smiley-1:

Thank you! I saw it and hoped, but geology can be so tricksy hahaha.

This is so sick!

Right - I better look up ways to protect this bad boy :D

Thanks again!

No protection needed on that stuff, usually. It might be preppable from the other side with the right gear.

(If you have fragile bone, and providing it's dry, a thin solution of paraloid is the best stuff available in the UK to impregnate it with - a forum search should bring up plenty of information.) 

And congratulations on your first piece!

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Nice find. As Tarquin suggests, an experienced preparator could approach this from the other side and make quite a nice display piece out of it in my opinion. Just check out some of @belemniten's work in the  Fossil Preparation section.                                                                          

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That's a pretty nice piece :fistbump: Congrats! (Go and search the rest :D

I never prepped any Ichthyosaur fossils from England and this looks like a kinda tough job. Maybe @LiamL know somebody who would prep it for you if you want.

• I found this Informative 2

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Well done! Good job you spotted it. Cant believe someone left that, unless it broke when it fell from the cliffs.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

15 hours ago, TqB said:

No protection needed on that stuff, usually. It might be preppable from the other side with the right gear.

(If you have fragile bone, and providing it's dry, a thin solution of paraloid is the best stuff available in the UK to impregnate it with - a forum search should bring up plenty of information.) 

And congratulations on your first piece!

Thanks so much @TqB! Great advice. And thank you everyone. :)

I'm going to have to think long and hard what to do with this. I kinda think it's beautiful right now :D

3 hours ago, LiamL said:

Well done! Good job you spotted it. Cant believe someone left that, unless it broke when it fell from the cliffs.

Yeah @LiamL - it must have cracked as it came out of the cliffs. It was laid smooth side up in a rock pool and I just idly flipped it expecting to find bivalves! So lucky :D

5 hours ago, The Neanderoll said:

Thanks so much @TqB! Great advice. And thank you everyone. :)

I'm going to have to think long and hard what to do with this. I kinda think it's beautiful right now :D

Yeah @LiamL - it must have cracked as it came out of the cliffs. It was laid smooth side up in a rock pool and I just idly flipped it expecting to find bivalves! So lucky :D

Well done mate, reptile bone is certainly out there if you put the effort in. :thumbsu:

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

22 hours ago, The Neanderoll said:

It's a small village on the coast of Yorkshire. And isn't accessible except by scaling the cliff or walking a few miles along the beach.

Pretty sure I know where you mean, we’ve been a couple of times but haven’t been as lucky. Well done; great find!