May be a long shot

Ratsbaby

Hi, i know this may be a long shot, but i found this fossil in the cliffs of Hunstanton, Norfolk, UK

It is in a red stone, and was originally in a much larger boulder

Any ideas as to what it could belong to would be greatly helpful

The rock is about 9cm at its longest point, and the fossil is roughly 7cm as it goes into the rock, and would be longer if not broken.

20190826_113756.jpg

Looks like the calcerous tube from a tube worm Vermetidae. These commonly live on rock or are epibionts (live on other animals). Is it attached to anything within the rock? On the open end of the "U"

Almost looks like some sort of discontinuity (line) in the rock under it so it could have been on a hard-ground surface or could have just been detached.

Clearer photos and a pic from the other end would help

@Doctor Mud i think you could be right, although it seems a little too disjointed compared to what I've found on google, and the end of it doesn't match up but its possible you're right in that it was connected to something and was detatched (not much to see on the other end, more pics coming)

20190826_133813.jpg

My apologies, just making sure you won't get in trouble. Looks like collecting is fine in these SSSIs, you are just not supposed to chisel or hammer away at the bedrock.

Sorry!