Gastropod from Portugal, help!

LeoF

Hello! i've found this gastropod in the Rio Tejo in "Alverca" (near to Lisbon), can someone help me to know what is this with more precision? and how old can it be (period)?

extra question: how do i clean it?

Thanks!

IMG_20190828_172224938.jpg

IMG_20190828_172242453.jpg

IMG_20190828_172302351.jpg

IMG_20190828_172311454.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like a steinkern (mold) with little of the original shell remaining. You probably won't get much cleaner than that, without damaging the fossil. A light rinse and scrub with a toothbrush is your best bet. 

For exact age, you will need to check a geological map of the Lisbon area, and identify the formation the specimen came from - however, we have similar gastropods in Texas, and wouldn't surprise me if this were Cretaceous material (145-66 myo).

• I found this Informative 2

For cleaning fossils like this, I always give them a light scrubbing with my wife's toothbrush.;)

On a more serious note, I agree with facehugger that it looks a lot like the gastropods we find in the lower Cretaceous in Texas.

• I found this Informative 2

Hello,

Cretaceous. It is difficult an ID but good candidates will be, among others, Natica similimus Choffat, 1886 or a Natica pseudoleviathan Choffat, 1886 by original designations. 

Regards,

Ricardo

• I found this Informative 3