Darktooth's Kitchen Table finds.

Darktooth

Just now, Darktooth said:

Angel shark.

20190902_125904.jpg

Angelshark (Squatina) teeth can be found in Florida as well but they are significantly less common than they are in the STH matrix. When I first found one worn specimen many years back in the Peace River I posted it here and @ynot replied with the identification within minutes. I was amazed at how quickly this unusual tooth (for Florida) could be positively identified. It makes sense in retrospect as Tony has a lot of experience in the micros from STH and Squatina teeth are quite distinctive. There is only the genus Squatina in the family Squatinidae and only that family in the order Squatiniformes so angelsharks are kind of on their own limb in the elasmobrach family tree. Unfortunately, the teeth of angelsharks are somewhat variable within a single species and yet have few diagnostic features that allow isolated teeth to be identified to species. In most cases it is difficult to positively identify these to more than just Squatina sp. Those from STH are commonly called Squatina lericherii but could also be the common living species S. californica. Probably little hope of ever assigning a species to the rare few that are found in Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

Again need help with ID. I apologize  for poor image quality of my pics. I have tried taking the best pics I can with what I have to use.

20190828_164130.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Eagle Ford is out of my bailiwick. ;) I've got minor experience in STH and too much :P experience in CC Creek but I've not had the pleasure yet to hunt in the Eagle Ford Group (Late Cretaceous) of Texas. I'm sure we have some experts here on the forum who are well versed in the finds that come from there.

Cool micros--enjoying the show.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

5 minutes ago, digit said:

Angelshark (Squatina) teeth can be found in Florida as well but they are significantly less common than they are in the STH matrix. When I first found one worn specimen many years back in the Peace River I posted it here and @ynot replied with the identification within minutes. I was amazed at how quickly this unusual tooth (for Florida) could be positively identified. It makes sense in retrospect as Tony has a lot of experience in the micros from STH and Squatina teeth are quite distinctive. There is only the genus Squatina in the family Squatinidae and only that family in the order Squatiniformes so angelsharks are kind of on their own limb in the elasmobrach family tree. Unfortunately, the teeth of angelsharks are somewhat variable within a single species and yet have few diagnostic features that allow isolated teeth to be identified to species. In most cases it is difficult to positively identify these to more than just Squatina sp. Those from STH are commonly called Squatina lericherii but could also be the common living species S. californica. Probably little hope of ever assigning a species to the rare few that are found in Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken

I have found a couple Angel shark teeth from Calvert Cliffs, when I first started hunting there and sifted alot.

1 minute ago, digit said:

Eagle Ford is out of my bailiwick. ;) I've got minor experience in STH and too much :P experience in CC Creek but I've not had the pleasure yet to hunt in the Eagle Ford Group (Late Cretaceous) of Texas. I'm sure we have some experts here on the forum who are well versed in the finds that come from there.

Cool micros--enjoying the show.

Cheers.

-Ken

I really wish that I had more of this matrix.

While I did not find a lot in the Eagle Ford Matrix I liked what I did find. (There was some broken and worn teeth.) I am planning on collecting some Cretaceous micro matrix from N.J., hopefully within a month or so. I did sift there with an 1/8 inch screen many years ago. I found plenty. I think if I use a window screen this time it should be very productive. I will keep you guys posted when that time comes. I hope you enjoyed the pics.

Oops I almost forgot, I still haven't finished with my Lee Creek and Ocala limestone matrix, so when I finish with that I will have more to post.:)

I thought I would share some info about how I go about searching micromatrix. I assure you it is very low-tech and simple. But also very effective. I simply sprinkle a bit of matrix on to a paper plate. I make sure to not put to much as to crowd the plate. If you do you will surely miss items. Same as when you put too much material into your sifter.

20190902_134251.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Again need help with ID. I apologize  for poor image quality of my pics. I have tried taking the best pics I can with what I have to use.

Looks like a sawfish oral tooth. (as opposed to a rostral spine, which are often called "teeth"

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Then I put on my very stylish Jewelers lens and go to work looking for goodies. I know I look handsome. My Mommy said so!:default_rofl:

20190902_134348.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like a sawfish oral tooth. (as opposed to a rostral spine, which are often called "teeth"

Thank-you Tony!

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

. I make sure to not put to much as to crowd the plate. If you do you will surely miss items. Same as when you put too much material into your sifter.

I use a 8x11 piece of white cardstock paper.

I pile a small amount in an even (roughly) layer and start at one edge.

I search by removing a small amount at a time and keeping a cleared space between the searched and unsearched material.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

I use a 8x11 piece of white cardstock paper.

I pile a small amount in an even (roughly) layer and start at one edge.

I search by removing a small amount at a time and keeping a cleared space between the searched and unsearched material.

I tried that approach, but sometimes a too quick flick of my finger resulted in material flying off the paper or mixing the searched and  unsearched material together. :DOH:

20190902_134251.jpg

Silly boy, thou knows not the difference between paper and polystyrene!  

So very "un-green" of you. :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

46 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I tried that approach, but sometimes a too quick flick of my finger resulted in material flying off the paper or mixing the searched and  unsearched material together. :DOH:

Or on the floor... I too like the plate method.  I'm glad to see that you are enjoying the matrix.  You made some nice finds.  Hopefully I can get back to searching soon I'm going through withdraw symptoms. I actually need to do a bunch of identification and set up manageable storage system... Ziploc sandwich baggies with locations isn't cutting it. 

I know I look handsome. My Mommy said so!:default_rofl:

I certainly hope thats open to debate! ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

too quick flick of my finger

Fingers to Pick micro matrix?:default_rofl:

image.jpeg.79770607f79baccf343da990637935f5.jpeg

I use a dental pick to manipulate the matrix.:thumbsu:

image.jpeg.558c6263d2c88454c997ca22871c28f1.jpeg

They also work well for picking up the smaller pieces when wetted a little.

21 minutes ago, ynot said:

A small artist's paint brush works well too. (A small paint brush used by an artist, that is. Not a paint brush used by a small artist, though that might work too.)

Thanks for posting your finds, Dave. You've been busy.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Fingers to Pick micro matrix?:default_rofl:

image.jpeg.79770607f79baccf343da990637935f5.jpeg

I use a dental pick to manipulate the matrix.:thumbsu:

image.jpeg.558c6263d2c88454c997ca22871c28f1.jpeg

Actually I am pretty good at getting the small stuff with my nimble fingers!

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Then I put on my very stylish Jewelers lens and go to work looking for goodies. I know I look handsome. My Mommy said so!:default_rofl:

20190902_134348.jpg

All I have to say is "klaatu barada nikto" :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Just now, digit said:

All I have to say is "klaatu barada nikto" :P

Cheers.

-Ken

:default_rofl:

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I simply sprinkle a bit of matrix on to a paper plate.

20190902_134251.jpg

The slight optimization I would suggest is to sprinkle a narrow band along the outer edge of the paper (or foam) plate. When you sprinkle out a bunch of matrix to pick through, you tend to have to keep pushing it down and work hard to remember what you've looked through and what you haven't. I make a band around the edge of the plate and then rotate the plate as I pick through it (pushing material down with my dental pick as I go). I can spin a new narrow column of material into view and concentrate on just that area which keeps me focused and makes sure I don't miss any good bits.

24 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Actually I am pretty good at getting the small stuff with my nimble fingers!

I've known folks to use slender (usually medical grade) forceps (tweezers) to pick up selected micro-fossils and I've seen a small, wetted, finely tipped artist's paint brush used to adhere and pick up tiny delicate micro-fossils. I usually use my (not so nimble) fingers on the larger sturdier fossils that I can easily get a grip on. For tiny and fragile fossils I usually dampen a finger very slightly (usually touching the tip of a finger to the tip of my tongue) and then rub my fingers together so there is only a slight residual dampness. This is usually just enough to get some tiny millimeter size fossil to stick to my finger tip just long enough to be moved to a place to save it. Any slight movement to brush it off quickly dislodges it. Excessive moisture makes them stick better but they are more difficult to get to drop.

I have probably picked tens of thousands of micro-fossils and these are just techniques that I've found work for me the most efficiently when you are doing it a lot.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

The slight optimization I would suggest is to sprinkle a narrow band along the outer edge of the paper (or foam) plate. When you sprinkle out a bunch of matrix to pick through, you tend to have to keep pushing it down and work hard to remember what you've looked through and what you haven't. I make a band around the edge of the plate and then rotate the plate as I pick through it (pushing material down with my dental pick as I go). I can spin a new narrow column of material into view and concentrate on just that area which keeps me focused and makes sure I don't miss any good bits.

I've known folks to use slender (usually medical grade) forceps (tweezers) to pick up selected micro-fossils and I've seen a small, wetted, finely tipped artist's paint brush used to adhere and pick up tiny delicate micro-fossils. I usually use my (not so nimble) fingers on the larger sturdier fossils that I can easily get a grip on. For tiny and fragile fossils I usually dampen a finger very slightly (usually touching the tip of a finger to the tip of my tongue) and then rub my fingers together so there is only a slight residual dampness. This is usually just enough to get some tiny millimeter size fossil to stick to my finger tip just long enough to be moved to a place to save it. Any slight movement to brush it off quickly dislodges it. Excessive moisture makes them stick better but they are more difficult to get to drop.

I have probably picked tens of thousands of micro-fossils and these are just techniques that I've found work for me the most efficiently when you are doing it a lot.

Cheers.

-Ken

The only problem I have had with tweezers, is that I have "squeezed" to hard and broke a specimen. On the other hand I have also pushed down too hard with my wet finger, with the same result, from time to time.