Tiny shell

daves64

A few months ago I won an auction presented by @RJB. In it was a sand dollar that was encrusted by some coquina, so I worked on getting most of it off. When poking around in the stuff earlier this morning, I found a tiny little shell, just barely over 1/2 mm in size & very fragile. I got a couple pics of it with my dino lite, but to see detail I had to get creative. Had the onboard LEDs turned way down, but it was still washing it out, so I took 1 pic & shut them off. I then used a small LED flashlight with weak batteries & got a couple decent enough pics with some side lighting. Hopefully this will be enough for an ID. I really have no way to take an edge on view at this point with it being so fragile. The 1st pic shows some nice ribbing detail. Unfortunately, I have no idea where it's from & I don't think he knew either.

A123 - 20190908_060512.jpg

A124 - 20190908_060527.jpg

A125 - 20190908_060845.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

If I didn't know that it was marine (assuming so, based on it being associated with a sand dollar), I'd swear it was a member of the freshwater family Valvatidae such as Valvata tricarinata or Valvata bicarinata. Any chance there may have been "contamination" or re-working of sediments? 

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Well Dave, what you have there, is a tiny shell. :)

:DOH:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Here are some more pics of items found, labeled 1 through 7. 1 & 2 is 2 mm, 3 & 4 show a worm tube just over 1 mm in width, 5 has 3 shells, the largest being about 3 mm & 6 & 7 is just over 4 mm long & the lines are raised.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Im glad your having fun Dave.  That stuff would be too small for me to even think about!  If your tiny looking gastropod was any smaller I would think it would be some kind of foraminifera?   Never did see a picture of the cleaned up echy?

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Never did see a picture of the cleaned up echy?

Oh, yeah.. this guy? Couldn't get it completely clean & had some bits pop out of the keyhole, but it still looks nice.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

4 hours ago, daves64 said:

Couldn't get it completely clean & had some bits pop out of the keyhole, but it still looks nice

I kinda thought it would be a tuff prep job but you did purty dang good. 

RB