Yorkshire prep thread

DanJeavs

4 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

Cheers Ron. Hopefully I’ll get to your level one day 

Thanks for the compliment man.  If this prep stuff was a race you wouldn't be too far behind me!  Just keep going.  The biggest thing for me when it came to prep was patience and when I was younger I didnt have much but once the kids were gone I seemed to get lots of patience.  Ha!  :)

RB

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Thanks for the compliment man.  If this prep stuff was a race you wouldn't be too far behind me!  Just keep going.  The biggest thing for me when it came to prep was patience and when I was younger I didnt have much but once the kids were gone I seemed to get lots of patience.  Ha!  :)

RB

Haha. I wonder why that was :default_rofl: Oh I learned that the hard way. I ruined some rare pieces early on with a dremel. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out to America one day to collect. 

16 minutes ago, DanJeavs said:

Haha. I wonder why that was :default_rofl: Oh I learned that the hard way. I ruined some rare pieces early on with a dremel. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out to America one day to collect. 

Years later I would look at something I prepped out and wonder how I could do such a horrible job?   Ive taken several of my earlier crab preps and redid them and to my surprize they came out much much better the when i first did them.   Patience is key when it comes to prep.  and if you ever make it here to america I will try and help you out with fossil hunting places and who to meet up with.  

RB

4 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

One of my best finds to date. This beautiful Eleganticeras multiblock sits proudly in my cabinet to this day. Absolutely packed with them. 

Luverly! :wub:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 10/09/2019 at 5:15 PM, DanJeavs said:

Why thank you :). I still have plenty more to learn as I have only been prepping for maybe 2 years

Wow, would have never of guessed you've only been doing this for 2 years. Keep up the great work :D 

On 10/09/2019 at 9:47 PM, RJB said:

Years later I would look at something I prepped out and wonder how I could do such a horrible job?   Ive taken several of my earlier crab preps and redid them and to my surprize they came out much much better the when i first did them.   Patience is key when it comes to prep.  and if you ever make it here to america I will try and help you out with fossil hunting places and who to meet up with.  

RB

I already have some bits that could do with a better job. I should have my abrasive set up before Christmas so everything will be getting touched up. Appreciate that bud. Hopefully I’ll be able to go to Tucson at one point or another. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/09/2019 at 10:31 PM, Dinoguy89 said:

Wow, would have never of guessed you've only been doing this for 2 years. Keep up the great work :D 

Plenty more to learn :fingerscrossed:. I’ll try :thumbsu:

20 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

Androgynoceras

I wonder what Young and Bird were seeing in 1822 when they named this critter "man woman horn"?

You have some very nice ammonites. :envy:

9 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I wonder what Young and Bird were seeing in 1822 when they named this critter "man woman horn"?

You have some very nice ammonites. :envy:

:default_rofl: who knows. Why thank you, iv got two weeks off work for collecting and prep next week, so hopefully add more to the ever growing ammonite mountain :thumbsu:

A lovely psuedolioceras boulbiense. Though quite common, to find one at this size, (4inches) is pretty snarge large for the genus. I’d found and glued up this nodule a long time ago and had not noted what it was. I had to resplit  the nodule to find out what I was dealing with. I’ll post a picture of it underneath. Thanks for looking :thumbsu:

9EE5703E-6AD3-4940-8023-DF90341E46FD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good few days collecting out on the Yorkshire coast this week, alongside with a few solid days in the workshop too. I finally braved my fears and started on some bone iv had for a while but didn’t dare prep. The first was this nodule I had previously split, and found what looked to be a croc vert (very rare here). After glueing it all up, I began prep. An incredibly easy prep, and outcome this. Iv had some many different id’s along the way, but we’re finally down two. It’s either a massive neural arch from a vertebrae, which means the vert must have been huge for it. The other is a clavicle bone which is odd to see in a nodule. Either one I’m happy with. It’s all settled on it being Icthyosaur. Which was a little disappointing due to it not being croc. 

EF160BC7-2D6A-4647-B4F9-FDD67E109371.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I posted anything on here, so here’s a few updates of some stuff iv been working on. First up is this Hildocerasi found a few months back. Prefect mouth border for once also which makes it all the more better 

6429CD4F-2711-498D-8183-71E587419774.jpeg

Here’s one I filled out of the garbage pile. It was embedded within an awfully stick multi block that I’d given up on a while back. Decided to give it a whack and see if there’s anything worthwhile saving. Out popped this lovely grammoceras. Easy half hours prep and out pips this beauty. The sutures are absolutely stunning which I’ll show I’m the next photo. 

BDF928C3-129B-4379-BD0C-B0054136D5E4.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hope everybody is doing well during lockdown. Iv been grinding away at the prep bench a lot during the five weeks I have been off work, so prepare for a nice influx of various stuff. First up is this really nice customer piece I finished recently for a friend. Not 100% certain yet, but believe they are cleviceras. The block is packed either side with them. An absolute tonne of pyrite to contend with, but turned out to be a real nice piece. Unfortunately didn’t take any before pictures 

BD96D01D-1F92-4842-84B2-FB3D7060D0C9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Here’s a seriously nice piece I cleaned up recently. A quality harpoceras Falciferum, a nice Dactylioceras semicelatum and a few small Dactylioceras gracile. Not very often you get a quality piece like this. 

F380CBB7-1C2F-4730-B986-E88D7919E23C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Looks like youve been a busy prep boy.  Always nice to keep busy.  This last multi piece you posted is quite nice indeed!!!

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Looks like youve been a busy prep boy.  Always nice to keep busy.  This last multi piece you posted is quite nice indeed!!!

RB

Certainly it have Ron. Had to take a 20% pay cut from the virus, so finally getting round to selling a lot of stuff that’s not worthy of the collection lol. I’ll throw a few more nice pieces up soon.