Braceville fossil hunting

Sasquatch1112

I was there today.  It was terrific.  You'll have a lot of fun. I found an entire 5-gallon bucket full just from surface hunting.

Advice: Bring enough water, a couple of 5 gallon buckets, one of those small garden claws, a pick-mattock (you don't need a shovel).  The bugs weren't bad.  I didn't find a tick on me when i returned home (and I went in the woods, of course, i used picardin and permethrin on my clothing). Spend tine surface hunting.  It rained a few days ago and so they are everywhere (less now that you're on day 2).  Avoid the red area (results of a mine fire and you won't find anything there).

The key to finding them is in the rivelets.  As the rain washed down the hill it creates rivelets and washes. I found all of my biggest inside them.  Stop and look on the side of them also.  You will have to bend down and get close. Not easily seen standing up. Cut/dig little steps in the side of the hill if you have to.  Sometimes the tiniest part is sticking out and so you have to look closely and use your claw to check each on is a concretion.  I found 4 big concretions all clumped together that way. in a wash.

20190914_100634.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I’ll be there tomorrow as well. It’s going to rain in the morning but it should be done by the time we get there, so plenty of fresh concretions should be available.