I found this tooth several years ago at Big Brook NJ and I am not sure what it is

Suchascenicworld

Hello,

So I just moved back to New Jersey from the UK and when going through my old things, I came across a tooth that I found from Big Brook years ago. I used to work in Plio-Pleistocene zooarch at hominin sites and so I immediately thought reptile (it semi looks like some of the fossil croc teeth I would have to work with). I think it might be Plesiosaur but I am not quite sure!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

tooth2.JPG

Looks like fish to me also.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

26 minutes ago, Suchascenicworld said:

I never thought of that! thanks..still uncertain though. I wonder if it could also be Xiphactinus?

Could be...I have found teeth for both in Texas cretaceous formations. But really reminds me much more Enchodus than Xiphactinus...

Let us know what you find out...

hey @FossilDAWG, I just spoke with  colleague at the university I teach at and he said it is Enchodus. I am going to bring it in next time I am on campus so who knows, maybe he will change his mind when he sees it in person! thank you though!

It definitely looks like a Xiphactinus. Quite hard to find a larger one in nice shape here. A pic of the base should verify the ID.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

+1 vote for picture of the base.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.