Cretaceous New Jersey find

jonnyquest

00000IMG_00000_BURST20191003204303298_COVER.thumb.jpg.084973a904730a79b6d307c4f546fc4b.jpgHi, I found this fossil at Ramanessin Brook  in New Jersey while sifting the gravel beds. It's fully fossilized. The Brook is late Cretaceous and approximately 74 million years old.  I would really appreciate any comments as to what it is. 

• I found this Informative 1

That looks like it could be a theropod toe bone, if so that's an awesome and important find.

• I found this Informative 2

Very interesting find. I’ve found phalanges that have that appearance but they are definitely modern deer. Yours looks like it may be mineralized but I’d need to look at it in person to tell. That first pic is a bit confusing, it looks like you have a Croc osteoderm lying underneath the item in question.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Yes, you're correct about the croc. Lol. I wanted to prop it up slightly and used that. The toe bone  has some good weight to it. Solid as a rock.

I posted at the same time as you. That last pic is making me really think it’s theropod. The exposed internal bone structure on the right side of the last pic looks very similar to Cretaceous bone from NJ. Doesn’t look like modern bone.

It is also on the large side for a deer phalanx.

I’m not a mammal or Dino expert and am judging it based off of my NJ collecting experience, going off of the preservation.

Maybe there is enough anatomical structure left to be able to differentiate deer vs Dino with actual features. @Harry Pristis @Troodon

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a theropod phalanx 

Alright, my suspicions came out to be true. That’s an insane find for NJ.

Do you have any tips for identifying a general theropod phalanx from something like a modern deer phalanx using anatomical features?

No idea what a deer phalanx looks like.

Theropod phalanx are hollow, have deep ligament pits, can have a dimple on the dorsal side.

• I found this Informative 4

6 hours ago, jonnyquest said:

Yes, you're correct about the croc. Lol. I wanted to prop it up slightly and used that.

Probably better to use cardboard or putty for propping. Using similar colored fossils can cause confusion. ;)

Picture of the opposite side and front and bottom  might be useful.

@Carl    @frankh8147

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm also cautiously optimistic that its theropod.. I really think this is something you should show to the New Jersey State Museum. Their contact details are online but if you are having trouble getting a hold of them, just send me a message.

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks everyone for the replies. I posted some last pictures if this will help. If it's Dryptosaurus that would be nice. Pleistocene deer wouldn't be too bad neither. I also have some other fossils I'll be posting soon that were found in the same area. 

IMG_20191004_171029.jpg

If the museum looks at it, ask if they can carbon date it to find out if it is older than recent or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely looks like a theropod to me. Congrats - these are extraordinarily rare for NJ. There should be no reason to try and date this - the morphologies of deer and theropod are sufficiently different. But I agree that you should show the folks at the NJSM and consider donating this.