Two Billion Year Old Terrestrial Fossil Tracks

Scylla

Scylla, thanks for the post and for all the "news" posts you provide to TFF.  These are helpful in keeping us better informed on cutting edge research.

• I found this Informative 1

Agreed! 

Thanks Gus! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very cool article! I've always found slime molds fascinating. Interesting to learn that they've been around for 2 billion years!

Interesting! If anyone can provide a link to the paper if it's available, I'd appreciate it, so I can pin down the age they're putting on these fossils and add it to my timescale. Currently all I see is "almost 2 billion years".

The age is approximate (ca) within a 200 million year range. 

Retallack, G.J., Mao, X. 2019

Paleoproterozoic (ca. 1.9 Ga) Megascopic life on land in Western Australia.

Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 532(109266)

Abstract: Controversial hairpin-shaped trace fossils (Myxomitodes stirlingensis) and discoid (Cyclomedusa davidi) fossils are here reinterpreted in a reassessment of sedimentology and paleosols of the 1.9 ± 0.1 Ga Stirling Range Formation of Western Australia.

Bengtson, S., Rasmussen, B., Krapež, B. 2007

The Paleoproterozoic Megascopic Stirling Biota.

Paleobiology, 33(3):351-381

Abstract: The 2.0–1.8-billion-year-old Stirling Range Formation in southwestern Australia preserves the deposits of a siliciclastic shoreline formed under the influence of storms, longshore currents, and tidal currents...  ...The taxa Myxomitodes stirlingensis n. igen., n. isp., are introduced for these traces. The Stirling biota was roughly coeval with other presumed multicellular eukaryotes appearing after a long period of profound environmental changes involving a rise in ambient oxygen levels, similar to that which preceded the Cambrian explosion.

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

On 10/12/2019 at 11:44 AM, grandpa said:

Scylla, thanks for the post and for all the "news" posts you provide to TFF.  These are helpful in keeping us better informed on cutting edge research.

Always happy to share!