Time Lapse Prep

Ptychodus04

47 minutes ago, tvanzyl89 said:

I've started fo

I've started following you on Instagram for your videos :thumbsu: I've just completed a specimen that's possibly a rhinesuchus skull, so loads of teeny tiny ridges on the head. I think doing a time lapse is my next challenge (I sat for ages trying to decide if I should get a trinocular microscope for a camera when I bought mine, I chose binocular) , but it might be problematic because the specimens I'm contracted to do at the moment are for the museum, so intended for research. So I may not be able to post! But keep posting yours! Love seeing prep work from other parts of the world (thanks internet!). 

Cool. Thanks. You can always make the videos and hold the posting until the research is published.

Matt, @Haravex that’s a great video. My only suggestion is to watch where your subject is framed in the camera. Most of your action is at the very top and sometimes goes off screen.

• I found this Informative 1

I did a little work on a Priscacara that I’ve been working on and off for the last couple months. It is from the bottom cap so prep is slow. I hit it when I need a break from my other work just to remember how easy the other work really is. :heartylaugh:

Here’s the video.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I prepped a beautiful Cockerelites liops last night and this morning...

Videos

Looks great! Can't wait to see the completion.

Edit: Actually, I think I just saw it in your fish prep thread, right?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks great! Can't wait to see the completion.

Edit: Actually, I think I just saw it in your fish prep thread, right?

Thanks. Yep that’s where the finished stuff goes. 

On 10/13/2019 at 8:50 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

That is my consolidation solution (Paraloid B72 in acetone).

I’m wondering why you brush this on as you go. I have no experience in consolidating so I’m just curious. I think if it was me, I would forget to do a section if I did it as I went and it might be better to do it all at once at the end of the prep, but maybe that wouldn’t be best practice? Maybe it’s precautionary to prevent anything from happening now that it is exposed? :headscratch:

BTW... Great videos. It’s very cool to see you in action! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

35 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

I’m wondering why you brush this on as you go. I have no experience in consolidating so I’m just curious. I think if it was me, I would forget to do a section if I did it as I went and it might be better to do it all at once at the end of the prep, but maybe that wouldn’t be best practice? Maybe it’s precautionary to prevent anything from happening now that it is exposed? :headscratch:

BTW... Great videos. It’s very cool to see you in action! :) 

You want to apply as you go so you protect the exposed parts from flying abrasive. I typically only consolidate delicate or otherwise vulnerable sections during prep. After I’m finished, the whole thing gets a coat of Paraloid regardless of whether or not it had been previously consolidated.

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You want to apply as you go so you protect the exposed parts from flying abrasive. I typically only consolidate delicate or otherwise vulnerable sections during prep. After I’m finished, the whole thing gets a coat of Paraloid regardless of whether or not it had been previously consolidated.

Gotcha. That makes sense. :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome videos! Have you thought about putting them on YouTube and voicing them on what your doing and why? I’ve been trying to find some on there and there doesn’t seem like there is much. I find it interesting and enjoy hearing the whys and how’s of what is happening and the such. you would have at least one person watching them! :thumbsu:

Kris, I am currently in the process of setting up a prep station. Hopefully will be able to christen it next month. So I took the time to watch most of these wonderful videos. I notice on many fish that you will wet an area and then leave it go. Is this done to soften the matrix in the area  or just visualize the area a little better??

Mike

22 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Kris, I am currently in the process of setting up a prep station. Hopefully will be able to christen it next month. So I took the time to watch most of these wonderful videos. I notice on many fish that you will wet an area and then leave it go. Is this done to soften the matrix in the area  or just visualize the area a little better??

Mike

Isn’t it fun to setup a prep area? The best part to me is the little innovations that spring to mind while you’re working that add a slight mechanical advantage or ease to the work area.

In the videos, I’m applying Paraloid to consolidate the fragile bones and scales after I have uncovered them. You’ll notice that some videos don’t show this. That is because those specimens were more stable and didn’t require Paraloid during the prep. Every fish gets it at some point but only the fragile requirenit during prep. Fish from the Sandwich Beds (aka split fish layer) always require stabilization during prep because their bones and scales are insanely fragile.

Good luck with the prepping!

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

In the videos, I’m applying Paraloid to consolidate the fragile bones and scales

Now it makes sense! Thanks! And no I do not enjoy setting things up. I wish there was a "package" to purchase where all I had to do is unwrap it, plug it in and start prepping.