Nuna

Found this in Comanche Peak limestone formation in Central Texas.  I'm thinking Eoradiolites quadratus but not sure if there's enough info to nail down species.

Apex to apex measures approximately 1.5 cm for three different samples. 

I will slowly post more pics of the other specimens, as I reduce photo sizes without losing quality.  

Thanks for your help.  

20191015_153936.thumb.jpg.1ff3118d2238a70a031b269cca9f7c7d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Ugh. Go back and find some better specimens. Considering what you have there now I think just calling it a rudist would be at best a good guess.

20 hours ago, erose said:

Ugh. Go back and find some better specimens. 

I'm not even the original poster but this is coming off as kind of harsh. 

1 hour ago, El_Hueso said:

I'm not even the original poster but this is coming off as kind of harsh. 

My apologies to all. Certainly didn't mean it that way. The "ugh" was more about my own frustration not being able to help with the ID. I could see in the cross section where the tentative ID was derived and Nuna was on the right track. I just don't know how much further it can be taken with that specimen. But rudists are always in reefs and that means there should be other examples to collect and compare.

And even when it is hard to find a single complete, or perfect specimen, you can collect enough pieces that collectively reveal the needed diagnostic features.

In my own efforts to collect and identify fossils I sometimes find that the specimens I brought home were just a bit too incomplete.   I am always looking for the "better" specimen as much as the "new" thing. 

• I found this Informative 4

The other photos, as promised earlier.  Thank you for your patience.  

20191019_103651.thumb.jpg.22531637af6329a267dcde3f0fb78c25.jpg20191017_064357.thumb.jpg.46134e23d35533baeb639e383044cc09.jpg

"Intelligence is the art of good guesswork." - H.B. Barlow