Value of fossil

Paxthamost420

This forum does not give valuations on fossils. For questions on the value of a fossil you will have to look at similar fossils being sold online or contact a fossil shop and ask them for a valuation. The Fossil Forum prefers to focus on the identification and discussion of fossils--not their monetary value.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

Not to disagree with Ken, but I think the forum policy is to not appraise or evaluate the market price of fossils. The OP asked for the value. That fossil is very valuable. It provides a glimpse of life millions of years ago. It is an object of wonder and amazement. 

• I found this Informative 1

Indeed. All fossils are invaluable glimpses into the past. Here on the forum we try not to focus on market valuations. Our stock answer to someone inquiring if an asking price is "worth it" for a fossil that a poster is thinking of buying has always been, "It's worth whatever you would pay to have it" (not to get to Zen). On the selling side, most fossils found by brand new members here are likely worth a lot less on the open market than they might expect. Without sufficient knowledge to know of a fossil's rarity or its condition relative to other fossils of the same type, expectations tend to run high since the only fossil prices that tend to make the news are exceptional pieces. We see our fair share of backyard "dinosaur eggs" (quite often with "embryos" inside :wacko:) and pointed rocks identified as T-rex teeth (never any of the hundreds of other species but always from the best known predator ;)). The value on these pieces is well within the rounding error of $0.00.

TFF is (and has been for years) an incredible source for information on fossil from a diverse group of worldwide members. We discuss new research in fossils. We give our best estimations of the identity of found fossils (quite often with our reasoning as to why it is one thing rather than the other). We post trip reports showing where (sometimes not too precisely) we are hunting for (and finding) fossils. We find more than enough fossil-related topics to talk about without focusing on the precise values (or even approximate estimates) of the market valuation of fossils. It's just not what we do--never has been, never will. For anybody wanting to turn a fossil into ready cash, there is a tried and true method for doing so--post it for sale on an internet auction site (there are several to choose from). If you don't want to part with the item but want to know its value--then that is a purely personal matter that only you can decide. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

I agree. The one other reason to need a valuation on a fossil is for insurance purposes, but there are paid appraisers for that.