Is this Iridescent ammonite real?

GallinaPinta

So this ammonite was listed for less than 4 dollars but I think it's too pretty. The seller didn't post any other photos unfortunately. They are supposedly from morocco but the seller is from china. 

Screenshot_2019-10-28-23-37-22.png

• I found this Informative 1

Looks very real, but is in a unnatural polished state. If you can get it for $4, that would be a bargain.

Yes it’s real. But as said before in an unnatural polished state. Someone polished all the surface detail off of it. Scientific value= Level 1 ( not much) beauty value = lvl 8. My rock shop occasionally has them like that for about that. If you just wanted a pretty one for your collection it’d be ok. If you wanted an identifiable one then not so much. Having said that I’d probably buy it if the seller had a good rating...

@GallinaPinta  Please do not post the price of fossils you are considering.  Thanks for your help.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I apologise. I want to ask if a mosasaur tooth is real, can I ask in my same thread or should I make a different one?  Thanks in advance. 

@JohnJ

Probably better to make a new topic.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, Crazyhen said:

This ammonite is genuine.  It is from Madagascar, imported into China in polished state in large number.

Exact.

Prices for these ammo's from Madagascar are very very reasonable cause the market is literally saturated with them.  You can go into any rockshop around the world and find these.  There are probably 300 pages of these on our favorite auction site?   I keep a bag of the split ones in the glove box of my truck and give them away to people I meet sometimes.

RB

• I found this Informative 2

I prefer them "au natural", but they are very pretty polished like that.  They are authentic, and one of the real bargains of the fossil collecting world.

Don

I like the stunning colours on these but why do they never clean the middles out? I've seen loads that seem to leave the middle.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Given what these sell for, it isn't cost effective to clean the umbilicus out.  I am actually happy about that, as they would certainly not do a careful job of it.  As it is, I can occasionally pick up a decent unpolished specimen and clean it myself. 

Don

2 hours ago, LiamL said:

I like the stunning colours on these but why do they never clean the middles out? I've seen loads that seem to leave the middle.

I’ve seen some with the middles cleaned out

10 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

I’ve seen some with the middles cleaned out

Guessing they look better but not worth if for price they sell at

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

There are literally thousands of these for sale on oFas, our favorite auction site, and I have gotten a few for super cheap by putting a minimum bid on a couple of hundred of those that offered free shipping. I was outbid on all but seven of them. So I received seven for a VERY reasonable price. Four came from the same seller. I'll bet he was ticked off! Even the ones that are not really great specimens are great give-aways at that price. Cleoniceras besiarei  from Madagascar is what I think most of them are.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!