Italo40

Palaeontological Museum of Padua - plant collections (part I)

Wrangellian

Wow!

The prep jobs on some of them look odd - earlier techniques or aesthetic choices no longer used?

Specifically, what happened to these two; were they extracted in pieces and reconstructed with something like cement or plaster? or cobbled together from several specimens?

IMG-20191104-WA0068.thumb.jpg.ed932ee7abd0ba6fe8a316f61802d462.jpg

Italo40
4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wow!

The prep jobs on some of them look odd - earlier techniques or aesthetic choices no longer used?

Specifically, what happened to these two; were they extracted in pieces and reconstructed with something like cement or plaster? or cobbled together from several specimens?

IMG-20191104-WA0068.thumb.jpg.ed932ee7abd0ba6fe8a316f61802d462.jpg

Well, most of these specimens were collected in the XIX or early XX century, so the techniques are pretty aged. I think that they were extracted in pieces and then reassembled together. I'd exclude that any of these is a composite.

If they were collected and prepared today, they would have a different (and more pleasant) appereance for sure!

Wrangellian

Well at least they got them out of the ground for posterity, and didn't use the rock for house construction or something like that!

Pretty impressive fossils and the display has quite an impact.

Italo40
50 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Well at least they got them out of the ground for posterity, and didn't use the rock for house construction or something like that!

Pretty impressive fossils and the display has quite an impact.

I totally agree with that! Bolca fossils first mention dates back to 1535, but it was known for sure since much earlier. This heritage made it possible that they have been studied for a long time and the rock not exploited for commercial/building purpouses. Mine were merely aestethic considerations!

And yes the display is really astonishing, see to believe ;)

Mark Kmiecik

But do they have any large specimens? :heartylaugh: That is an impressive display of some really great specimens. Thank you for showing us the photos.

LordTrilobite

That is quite a wall.

Ludwigia

Thanks for sharing!