Etobicoke Creek Fossil teeth?

derhuene

Hello, I am brand-new here and like new to fossils.

Inspired by thefossilforum I went to the etobicoke creek and found this

Fossil, which looks like equipped with a row of teeth.

under the matrix on top of the row is a black mineral. 

Can anybody tell me what this is please

ETC F2.JPG

IMG_5371.jpgIMG_5372.jpgIMG_5561.thumb.jpg.c0035116e62267a1bc2be15eff2d22a3.jpgETcreek-F1.JPG

Edited by derhuene
added photos

Welcome to the forum.

It's definitely a marine fossil, with bits of more than one species present. The "wall" in the first and last photos appears to be the edge of a bivalve or brachiopod. Of course, I may be wrong, so let's give some others a look at before we reach any conclusions.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Definitely had some diagenetic remodeling. Isn't that a glimpse of tabulate coral just below and right of center (bottom photo)? Perhaps what it was to begin with ?

29 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Definitely had some diagenetic remodeling. Isn't that a glimpse of tabulate coral just below and right of center (bottom photo)? Perhaps what it was to begin with ?

Thank for your reply. I got a better close-up here. I thought first something like this too. but at a closer look I realized I need some help

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

45 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like styolites which are dissolution features.

Thanks Al Dente I really wonder what it is. 

IMG_5539.jpg

30 minutes ago, derhuene said:

Thank for your reply. I got a better close-up here. I thought first something like this too. but at a closer look I realized I need some help

IMG_5558.jpg  IMG_5551.jpg  IMG_5539.jpg

I just looked at some Styolites images and it does look like. The surface of this was the first that caught my eye, but the alignment ist from start to end like a row of teeth. I am afraid to remove anything in case it is something good.

8 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I agree with styolites.  I have been fooled by them myself.

Don

Thanks I looked the styolites up. At least if I felt lucky as a fool :)

Definitely not teeth. No enamel, no tooth morphology. 

Styolites is the way to go here. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like styolites which are dissolution features.

I agree, looked it up on google. I added another closeup, where it is more showing a black mineral that is under the covering matrix. I wish i could look through

Hmmm styolites... First I have heard of these. I’m pretty sure I have one or two laying around in my pile of unknowns. Learn something new everyday! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I agree with @Al Dente -- it is styolization.

PDFintroFig3.jpeg 

Thanks Kane, it looks like on the outside like styolites. I added a photo, where the matrix reveals a bit more of what is under. 

I am new and dont want to use a hammer to see whats hidden here

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks, It really looks. Do Styolites come in different materials as layers? outer is like calcid below it reveals black tourmaline crystallization

Keep in mind the age of the deposits around Etobicoke Creek, which would be Ordovician (Georgian Bay Fm). Too old for most toothy organisms. 

I would risk the hammer to see if there is anything more inside the rock. Or, ideally, go back and keep looking. You are likely to bump into a lot of interesting Ordovician fossils from that formation, including brachiopods, nautiloids, bivalves, and some trilobites (just to name a few). :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

36 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thank, there was some hope

32 minutes ago, Kane said:

Keep in mind the age of the deposits around Etobicoke Creek, which would be Ordovician (Georgian Bay Fm). Too old for most toothy organisms. 

I would risk the hammer to see if there is anything more inside the rock. Or, ideally, go back and keep looking. You are likely to bump into a lot of interesting Ordovician fossils from that formation, including brachiopods, nautiloids, bivalves, and some trilobites (just to name a few). :dinothumb:

Thanks, i park it for a later quest, once i get some more experience how to reveal gentle what i find. Still a starter here. I'll go back there and keep this in mind. Thanks a lot!

Thanks all for the input, styolites, time frame and missing tooth-substance explains it. Still i might be a nice styolite sample once i get to remove some more matrix and clean it up.

The response here was fast and very helpful. I can't wait to go again

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Thanks!  Diagenetic remodeling is an interesting point. When I looked it up i found " Veins are subplanar concentrations of minerals that have precipitated from solution."

source: http://hacker.faculty.geol.ucsb.edu/geo102C/lectures/part11.html