Pleistocene bone Id

garyc

I found this bone years ago on the Brazos River and never got around to asking for help with an I’d. Could this be from a bird? It seems hollow, but well mineralized. 

B53E0221-783F-49A2-AB5A-4DAA6CDD63B8.jpeg

34417522-5D91-4DFA-B123-3699D74F9954.jpeg

3 hours ago, garyc said:

Could this be from a bird? It seems hollow

I think we might need to see just how hollow. The broken end ?

Most broken that is.

I think the walls are way too thick for it to be avian. Neither do the remaining morphological details match up with any part of a bird's skeleton.
Mammal, me thinks.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

4 hours ago, garyc said:

B12D7879-F397-4BAD-9CB5-0E5FA4E9DA16.jpeg

That 2nd last photo seems familiar... thinking sea turtle... maybe humerus

Adding an interesting link of some options:

https://paoloviscardi.com/2013/10/11/friday-mystery-object-210-answer/

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

My own impression is that of a proximal bird humerus, but I'm not a bird expert.  I can't think of a mammal or reptile with such a pneumatic structure. 

bird_comparetwo.jpg

bird_humerus_chicken.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

My own impression is that of a proximal bird humerus, buy I'm not a bird expert.

The tendon foramen centered under the 'head' is not an avian feature, at least not that I have ever seen.
I wonder whether the partially pneumaticized structure is a sea turtle adaptation?

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

17 minutes ago, Auspex said:

The tendon foramen centered under the 'head' is not an avian feature, at least not that I have ever seen.
I wonder whether the partially pneumaticized structure is a sea turtle adaptation?

So we are relying on different features for identification.  I confess that I searched images of bird humeri for such a foramen -- without finding one.  

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

So,  Time to re_access

I am beginning to believe this is something else. Two experienced fossil experts who know as much as anyone on bird, turtle bones are having trouble Identifying.

I am concerned about the lack of "curvature" on this bone compared to turtle.  I was hunting this week and tossed a bone from a large mammal (Equus ??) that was hollow all the way thru... How did it get that way?

PrehistoricFlorida has this 4.125 inch raccoon humerus on online.. which is straighter than turtle humerus bones...

s-l1600raccoonhumerus.jpg.599274e6d0aa4c2e1d668cf78c91effd.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"