How am I just now finding this forum!

Paleo Analysis

Hello everyone,

So first of all, I feel I must admit that I feel pretty dumb for having only just now found out about this forum despite being fairly active in the fossil community for at least the past 10 years... But anyway...

My names Steve, I'm originally from Florida where I've been a member of the Tampa Bay Fossil club for several years. I made a lot of life long friends there and even after moving to Texas, still return to Tampa every March to volunteer at the fossil show they put on. One of the main things that I really enjoyed about my time with TBFC was educating people. In addition to my real fossils, I've put together a pretty good collection of museum casts and replicas for doing presentations in classrooms. Unfortunately when I moved to Texas, I moved to a small town that is about 3+ hours away from every major city with a fossil club... So we have not been able to be nearly as active in the lone star state. (even though we know there is great fossil sites here like NSR). 

So where does the name Paleo Analysis come from? Well Paleo Analysis is kind of a pipe dream of mine that I came up with because educating people with the Tampa club is one of the main things I miss about being back home. So I put together an idea that maybe I would try to create something myself. I'm just looking into getting started now but my idea is to create a YouTube channel and use that to showcase what I know, then hopefully get my name out there so I can start going around to classrooms and doing presentations again.

I am definitely glad I've found this forum and I'm going to try to be as active as possible. Unfortunately I am on my phone way more than my pc and from what I've seen the website can be a little harder to navigate on a phone. For one thing I was told there was a chat room on here somewhere but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Am I just not seeing it? Because that's something I would really enjoy!

Anyways, nice to meet everyone! I can't wait to get into some discussions!5dc97b3cdd933_bannerfromFB.thumb.png.5c0d9df3f764464c1c585d1d95e24524.png

Here's my little at home display with both real fossils and replica skulls

75580287_571926803577185_26497238091956224_n.jpg.6f7f7299516aa0103e64fa48a18cf65d.jpg 

Edited by Paleo Analysis
  • I found this Informative 6

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Very nice intro piece.

Look forward to getting to know you better, but the chat room is now defunct. 

However we all chat and get friendly on various threads, members news and diversions, competitions and so on. We're a pretty amicable bunch. 

Good to have you aboard.

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you! That's unfortunate about the chat room. Would be a cool thing to have if we ever get the chance to get it back! Like I said I'll try to be as active as possible but most of the time I'll be using my phone so it may make it difficult.

Welcome to the forum from Maryland! I almost always access this site on my phone, works well enough. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yeah I'm definitely willing to give it a try and I'm sure a huge part of it is that I just have to learn how to navigate it. I've never had much interest in other forums like Reddit and stuff so this isn't something I am very well taught in. I'm sure I'll get it though.

Edited by Paleo Analysis

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Glad you found us, and can contribute! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have a newbie question, let's say that I want to share a YouTube video on this site. And the video is a general education video about a particular species. Where would be the best place to post that?

Hello @Paleo Analysis, welcome to the forum and good luck with your future endeavors. Maybe you'd like to get to know @fossilsonwheels since he and his son are active in your area of interest. And as far as posting a YouTube video, this would be a good place to post it.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

:Welcome-crab:  Welcome to The Fossil Forum, Steve.  :tff:

Best of luck to you with your classroom programs. The You Tube channel sounds like a good idea. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I had a travelling classroom program for many years, but not usually fossil-related.  If you've already done programs in Florida you probably have some good ideas already on how to reach out to the schools. I usually sent brochures to parent groups, and I went to a few school assembly showcases when I first got started. Sharing your interests with children is rewarding. Good luck! Welcome to the forum.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

4 hours ago, Paleo Analysis said:

I have a newbie question, let's say that I want to share a YouTube video on this site. And the video is a general education video about a particular species. Where would be the best place to post that?

You could post it in either Fossils on the Web, or General Fossil Discussion;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello and welcome from Kentucky! :) 

I can’t wait to check out your videos! Let us know when you get them uploaded on the Tube! 

I almost exclusively access TFF from my phone. The main exception is when I’m creating a post with a lot of pictures I have to edit. There are a few quirky things that happen since I’m using an iPhone, and some things that are a little easier (IMO) to do on a pc/laptop, but for general navigation and daily post checking, it works just fine. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

7 hours ago, grandpa said:

Welcome to TFF and welcome to Texas from Austin.  Glad to have you aboard.  Where in Texas are you located?

I am in a little town called Rusk Texas about 45 minutes south of Tyler. So about 3ish hours from Austin. I've really wanted to get connected with either a group in your area or the Dallas/ Ft Worth area because I haven't had the opportunity go go out hunting at all since I moved to Texas and I'd really like to get back out there. I really wanna check out NSR.

Another option for you might be the Houston Gem and Mineral Society.  They have a very active paleo section in their club.

Should you be so inclined, you might want to join all 3 clubs so that you can stay informed about their field trips and participate in those trips of most interest to you. 

Welcome Steve! I am close to the area you left. I have only been on a short time. Look forward to your YouTube posts. Keep us posted. I am sharing the link to this site on all my social sites. 

Edited by White Feather
misspelled word

That Hellpig skull is an amazing piece! Is that a replica or authentic? 

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Welcome from Illinois.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

19 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

That Hellpig skull is an amazing piece! Is that a replica or authentic? 

It's a replica. I'm trying to put together several different sets for presentations. I still need several others to go with my Archeotherium and Hyenadon for my Oligocene North America collection.