Hello from Alabama

Ramona

Just what I have been looking for, I hope!  My husband and I recently moved into a house and our yard has a wooded area on it.  I soon discovered that there are LOTS of rocks in the woods, most of which have some sort of fossil(s) in them!  What a delightful surprise!  Alas, I am such a novice, though... I am trying to learn to identify the type of rocks and the fossils, so I hope this forum will go easy on a newbie and lend a hand here and there?!  I am attaching a macro photo of one rock that I cleaned today.  It appears to me that there are tiny marine fossils or objects in this rock?  Am I correct?  If so, what type of rock would this be? 

Thanks!!

Ramona

IMG_2477a.jpg

Hello, Ramona, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Yes, seems like a limestone containing bryozoa and other organic fragments. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Ahhhh, that makes sense!  One other rock I found was identified as limestone, too!  This area of Alabama has a lot of that, in fact. I always thought limestone was a hard rock, but I am learning new things every day.  You gave me a jumping off point and now I searched online and learned about bryozoa!  I realize now that I am seeing a LOT of that in our rocks!  

Thanks!!

• I found this Informative 1

If I'm not mistaken, it seems you may have a little gastropod or ammonite/ nautiloid on this one.

20191112_200145.png

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hello and welcome! :) 

Bryozoa come in many shapes and sizes and can vary widely. I believe you have a type of fenestrate bryozoan in there. It’s the lace looking stuff. Might be a more specific jumping off point for you. 

E51F7178-C7FD-4A3B-B193-12C7AA90B76A.jpeg.995c1478cc10c175fa30bc30a79605dd.jpeg

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

If I'm not mistaken, it seems you may have a little gastropod or ammonite/ nautiloid on this one.

I was wondering about that one. At first I thought it may be a crinoid columnal, but I can’t make out much detail. Figured it was either very weathered or something else entirely. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Welcome from Illinois. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

22 hours ago, caldigger said:

20191112_200145.png

Thanks for this!!  I am overwhelmed by the large variety of items and it is hard for me to tell one thing from the other, so specifics like these are great!!

11 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Hello and welcome! :) 

Bryozoa come in many shapes and sizes and can vary widely. I believe you have a type of fenestrate bryozoan in there. It’s the lace looking stuff. Might be a more specific jumping off point for you. 

E51F7178-C7FD-4A3B-B193-12C7AA90B76A.jpeg.995c1478cc10c175fa30bc30a79605dd.jpeg

I was wondering about that one. At first I thought it may be a crinoid columnal, but I can’t make out much detail. Figured it was either very weathered or something else entirely. 

Thanks so much!  This is all very helpful!!