Tiny Wealden Ornithopod tooth?

FF7_Yuffie

Now, this was extremely difficult to photograph because of the size and the fact it is still in Matrix so only one side is visible. But I took photos of that side and the top of the tooth. It is 2mm long.

So, it was found in the Wadhurst Clay formation layer of the Wealden Group. At the Cliff End bonebed.

It looks too small and different shaped to be the Iguanodontids there--Hypselospinus and Barrilium. I can't see any small ornithopods from there, so likely I guess it will be undetermined. But I thought I would post it just in case, or if someone has seen similar. Could it be a type of Hypsilophodontid?

cheers 

Wed Jan 18 08-51-26.jpg

Wed Jan 18 08-51-38.jpg

Wed Jan 18 08-50-43.jpg

Wed Jan 18 08-51-04.jpg

interesting one, when I have a look on the matrix I can see some more "dark" other tiny stones. My opinion is: dark ?phosphorite or quarz-peeble, no tooth

The Wealden material can be tough to ID because of size, completeness  and often claims made that are exaggerated.

I've attached photos and an illustration of the dentition of a Hyp that you can compare against.

Have no idea if your specimen is a tooth or pebble.  It has the shine of enamel and at the base a possible cingulum (shelf), minor ridges on face but no other distinctive features.  Not sure if the side of the crown is a fracture or a wear facet.

My gut tells me it's a tooth but on something so small you really need to see what the base looks like, evidence of a root. 

Hypsilophodon.jpg.b23eac7902bde40b299d0fb87a54f7f0.jpg

Premaxillary and maxillary teeth fig 3/4 is 10mm and crown 4 mm.  bar indicates size of tooth all tiny

Screenshot_20230118_042713_Drive.jpg.6d72136bd25bdfbf02947edc495f318d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, the fossils there are very waterworn too which doesnt help. 

Thanks for the help, ill have a closer look when I get hime Im off to a dinosaur museum on Monday, so Ill take.it along. See what they say.

If not, ill see if I can expose the base a bit more. 

44 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Have no idea if your specimen is a tooth or pebble.  If has the shine of enamel and at the base a possible cingulum (shelf), minor ridges on face but no other distinctive features.  Not sure if the side of the crown is a fracture or a wear facet.

My gut tells me it's a tooth but on something so small you really need to see what the base looks like, evidence of a root.

I agree. Based on the characteristics described, which I've also observed, I'm also more inclined towards tooth than pebble.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Looks like a tooth. Possibly a small Wealden croc tooth. Hard to tell for all the reasons given above.