Cracking open a dactylioceras Ammonite

LiamL

Today i caught on my camera a lovely dactylioceras nodule opening.

Hope you enjoy, it's quite satisfying opening them but they don't always open like this. Probably one or two in 10.

• I found this Informative 18

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

2 hours ago, LiamL said:

Today i caught on my camera a lovely dactylioceras nodule opening.

Hope you enjoy, it's quite satisfying opening them but they don't always open like this. Probably one or two in 10.

Ooh!!! LOVE this!!!:wub:

• I found this Informative 1

That is SWEEEET. Is there a "safer" way to expose the specimen? For instance, would the freeze/thaw process that's used to open Mazon Creek concretions be a viable alternative? I cringe at the thought of how many really good specimens may be damaged or ruined by hammering.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

27 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

That is SWEEEET. Is there a "safer" way to expose the specimen? For instance, would the freeze/thaw process that's used to open Mazon Creek concretions be a viable alternative? I cringe at the thought of how many really good specimens may be damaged or ruined by hammering.

Yes you can take them home and use Pneumatic pens to reveal them. I dont bother for dacs because they are quite common. Rarer ammonites or marine reptile fossils i do myself or send them off to be professionally prepared. 

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't trust myself with the hammer and fossil in my hand, Lol. Can you cut these with a wet saw and polish them?

Liam- now that is a great video - short and to the point, on top of that, an absolutely beautiful fossil- Congrats.

8 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't trust myself with the hammer and fossil in my hand, Lol. Can you cut these with a wet saw and polish them?

Yep people do that to the super hard pyrite ones, they look great!

luckily this one was quite waterworn so opened really easily!