Football Shaped Crinoid?

gregg

I found this fossil in the Fort Payne Chert here in Birmingham, Al. The age is Mississippian. This particular formation is a chemical precipitate with lots of "normal" crinoids and a few brachiopods. Have any of ya'll ever seen a football shaped crinoid? I've considered it might be a single ambulacra from one of the more "flower-looking" ones but the symmetry is all wrong. This one has got me completely stumped!! :wacko:

post-2694-12656805344517_thumb.jpg

Search in ways to make discoveries, discover in ways to keep on searching. -Augustine

it is a Platycrinites stem piece, i have seen them up to about 2 inches wide in the Fort Payne of north Alabama

Ya gotta love when you can ID a Crinoid stem fragment just by it's shape. Very few Crinoids can be ID'ed this way. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

it is a Platycrinites stem piece, i have seen them up to about 2 inches wide in the Fort Payne of north Alabama

Very cool!! Thanks!

This id has been bugging me for about 3 years. Thanks to all who make this forum possible.

Search in ways to make discoveries, discover in ways to keep on searching. -Augustine

Ya gotta love when you can ID a Crinoid stem fragment just by it's shape. Very few Crinoids can be ID'ed this way. :)

You gotta love being able to talk with people who can ID a crinoid stem (or brachiopod, or fern, &c.) Ahhh, the power of the internet! It's like some kind of collective intelligence. I'd better go now. I'm have visions of the Borg or the Matrix or some other such thing. Rule number two: Never post before your second cup of coffee!

Later!

i found a Platycrinites stem segment today, Platycrinites stems and cup platys are easy to recognize. The stem has an oval outline with a ridge in the middle, Platycrinites developed a unique stem.

post-385-12662897925453_thumb.jpg

Edited by Archimedes