Field Trip Idea

jpc

This may be a shot in the dark, but...

Or it may start a bunch of youse dreaming and scheming.

In this thread, danwoehr mentions how much he'd like to do a European fossiling trip. And a few of us agreed with him.

Would any of you folks like to try to get together for a European fossiling vacation maybe next summer? I know some places to go in England and Switzerland. Maybe a two week trip. If enough of us are interested we can team up and rent some sort of van. It could be great fun. I think it could be done for 2500 USA bucks or so, depending on airfare. And our European friends could join us for less than airfare.

Whatta y'all think? I've got a busy summer planned already, but may be able to squeeze something in.

On a similar note... now I may be sticking my neck out on a limb... but I may be able to organize a Cretaceous dino dig here in Wyoming for us in 2012. (A lot depends on landowners and I have not floated this idea past any of the ones I deal with).

um, this is a grade idea, but i'm confused. is europe in wyoming? or did they dig that "chunnel" thingee further? and if not, how do you get a t-rex in teh big aluminum flying tube, cuz most people will focus on t-rexes if you take them to dinosaur places. i know i would. i want a big t-rex toe bone, and a six-inch piece of rib, and a big old tooth that's at least 98.3% not putty and whose nickname was never "jigsaw".

I'd give serious consideration to a European fossil trip if I could share lodging, transportation and other community expenses. If my boss signs off on the vacation and my sweet, loving ex wife (?!?!) would agree to watch my son more than usual, I'd be onboard. Long range planning would help on both counts. If the details came together right I'd pull the trigger on this one....and I'm pretty flexible on collecting venues as they'd all be new to me. All quality verts and inverts welcome...echinoids, ammonites, ichthyosaurs...bring it on. I'm a big fan of Pleistocene and Cretaceous (time to butter up Podope!) but I'd jump any the chance to hunt anything Triassic or Jurassic as I've never had much access to rocks of those periods. And if I can't carry enough fossils on the plane for our hosts, I could always ship more from Texas afterward...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

And yes I'd also give serious consideration to a dino dig.

Grüße,

I'm in for the Dino dig but I'm taking my girlfriend to Europe in about 2 years so any other European trips are on hold.

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

...now I may be sticking my neck out on a limb...

We need to dust-off the MNMM Award (Mind Numbing Mixed Metaphor Award)! :P

...I may be able to organize a Cretaceous dino dig here in Wyoming for us in 2012. (A lot depends on landowners and I have not floated this idea past any of the ones I deal with).

Got a site with potential for bird material?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

B)

Birds......Dinos.....same difference! B)

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

isn't green river in wyoming? theres birds there, isnt there?

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

isn't green river in wyoming? theres birds there, isnt there?

Yeah, but Wyoming is a big place. The Green River Fm. is Eocene; I'm after Cretaceous birds.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, but Wyoming is a big place. The Green River Fm. is Eocene; I'm after Cretaceous birds.

when i first started fossil collecting i was looking for bird fossils and then finally, tj told me "dad, you're never going to find any if you don't look down, and leave the binoculars at home from now on." it's probably the same with the cretaceous ones, so that will cut out like half or more of the area you would have had to look at.

danwoehr... let's think about this over the next few months. Anyone else wanna go?

auspex... Cretaceous microsites are known to produce the occasional bird bone, an I know of a few such sites. No obvious bird bones yet in several years of collecting from these sites and some screenwashing, but.... There was the one reptile vert I posted earlier this summer that you wanted to get a better look at... I never did get arond to doing that. Sorry.

poor confused tracer... two trips... one to europe, one to WY.

Hey JPC I'm pretty serious about a European Fossil Odyssey....so much so that I'd buy my Mom a plane ticket to come watch my son while I'm gone if required. Even if its just a couple of us, that's enough to make the trip a go since rooms can be shared etc. I probably can't swing the full expense of going alone though. I even mentioned this whole notion to my boss....

Grüße,