Need Id

fossilman7

inner ear bone of some sort?

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

possibly porpoise?

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Yeah, if it's bone, the only thing that comes to mind with that kind of shape is an inner ear bone; that one is kinda' small.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Did you find that this past summer when you and your dad went with me? It looks like an inner ear bone, but is very small.

These are common at Greens Mill Run and some other sites where the upper part of the Yorktown Formation is exposed. They were incorrectly described in 1858 as a crushing type tooth from the throat of a fish. More recently it has been described as a hyperostosed bone from a fish but it is unknown what species of fish or where in the fish it is from. They remind me of a cashew in both shape and size. A reference for the fossil can be found in “Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine volume 3”. The description is on page 188 and detailed photos on page 189.

Here is a photo, identified on this forum as a porpoise inner (middle) ear last month. I agree with others that it seems like an inner ear shape, but too small to be porpoise.

post-2220-0-73750500-1294589513_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here is a picture of a smaller inner ear bone from a porpoise from this site.

Cole~

post-1066-0-44268500-1294607749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cole

If it has bilateral symmetry, then it's a hyperostosid ("Tilly") bone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...