Fossil Hunting Locations Around Creede, Colorado

Earl

Hello all,

My wife and I are going to be vacationing next month in Colorado and plan on spending a couple of days looking for fossils. The two places on our list are Florissant and Creede.

The Florissant formation I've got filled in on our schedule with a visit to the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument and then some time spent at the private quarry called Florissant Fossil Quarry owned by the Clare family.

However, I still don't have good plans yet for the Creede Formation. We only have one day there. Can anyone recommend a good site around Creede that is either a pay-to-dig site or a commonly known and public-accessible site? I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots, just something that isn't too hard to find and get to. Anything that is run-of-the-mill to Colorado fossil collectors will be new and interesting to us first-time visitors from central Texas.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Regards,

Earl

Earl,

Check out this link that talks about "Airport Curve on HyWy 149 north of Creede; http://www.scienceperspectives.com/Time-Machines-and-Buried-Treasure.htm

Also the road to the Creede city dump (?), never been there but I recall it being mentioned. The only site at Creede I collected at is now posted off. Also there are several Rock Shops in Creede that may have information about public collecting sites.

Earl, Do a Google search for- The Late Oligicene Creede Flora, Colorado + Daniel Axelrod

You will get a Google Book of that title. Either download the book or read the book but chreck out the section on local stragigraphy. It has maps of the collecting sites. Also Plates provide ID's of specimen found. Everything you want to know about the Creede Formation except where the GOLD is found. LOL

JKFoam

Edited by jkfoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Hi Jim, and thanks for the link to the interesting Creede article. We'll try finding the "airport curve" and some of the other sites described.

The Axelrod book looks very promising--and very comprehensive. I'll need to start reading on that right away!

Hope you're having a good summer. I'm still going through Whiskey Bridge matrix. Once that is done, then photographs and forum postings next!

Regards,

Earl