Odd Texas Pennsylvanian Fossils

Shamalama

I received these three odd ball fossils from a friend in Texas. He didn't know what they were only that they came from the Pennsylvanian rocks of northern Texas. At first I thought they might be some kind of Gastropod but I can't find any shell nor evidence of a spiral. So I'm now thinking they might be a trace fossil of some sort. Maybe a shallow burrow or nest or possibly the internal mold of a rudist? Any ideas?

Specimen #1

post-1408-0-51853000-1312995744_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-68613400-1312995745_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-22789000-1312995747_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-58943900-1312995748_thumb.jpg

Specimen #2

post-1408-0-03140800-1312995751_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-17667500-1312995752_thumb.jpg

Specimen #3

post-1408-0-49259000-1312995753_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-79065600-1312995758_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-87170100-1312995760_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-98937200-1312995761_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-11576900-1312995763_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-75175400-1312995749_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I have found examples of these in the Pennsylvanian in Kansas.

For many years these were incorrectly referred to as jelly fish resting traces.

Today we know they are really Bioclast-packed burrows.

Here is a PDF reference (see plate 2): Click Here

Barry

• I found this Informative 3

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I have found examples of these in the Pennsylvanian in Kansas.

For many years these were incorrectly referred to as jelly fish resting traces.

Today we know they are really Bioclast-packed burrows.

Here is a PDF reference (see plate 2): Click Here

Barry

that looks like it!

It looks like a Horn Coral such as Zephymites sp. (Or however you spell it). However,

It isn't I vote it is a bioclast burrow. I find in those pictures nothing that would scream characteristics of Horn Coral except for the point that are traditionally common in N.Texas sediments of the Carboniferious there are no markings that are designed or any form of connection to a larger mass and there are things on the outside which looks more like other stuff semented on the exterior which wants me to toss it into groups like conglomeration and other hodgepoges.

If you can,

see if you can get more info out of the kind person that got this for you. Or closer photo.

Still a nice little set. Just my .02

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

They are placed with the Ichnogenus Conostichus

I have been told they believe they are the trace fossil an animal similar to a sea anemone

On some of your specimens you can see some of the ribbing pattern, typical, and on the bottom, not normally seen, is a 12 lobed pattern.

I have many from areas where you find interbedded shale/mud and very thin very fine grained sand lenses

• I found this Informative 1

Conostichus (a fossil with a confusing history) was formerly thought

to be a jellyfish resting trace. It is now regarded as a burrow infilling

or feeding structure of an unidentified organism. These fossils were first

described by Lesquereux in 1876 as a marine algae and then by later authors

as roots, stems, sponges or worms. C.C. Branson wrote a number of articles

circa 1956/1962 in which he discusses numerous separate species. In a 1959

article he states "It is possible to state at this time that the genus Conostichus

has but one species, C. ornatus; that some of the marine specimens may be

medusoids; that some of the types are probably marine worms. Close examination

of specimens in place in the rock and of the associated biota is necessary to

a real understanding of these four similar types of fossil." In later articles

he describes a number of new species. Joeckel, 2008 states "A trace-fossil

hypothesis for the origin of the structures remains plausible...possible

feeding structures---albeit problematic".

MAPS Fossil Show

<great thread!>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have similar ones from the Penn in central Texas. I beleive the trace fossil idea as others mentioned. Infiled burrows.

Wow, I stirred up the sediment a little around here! Thanks to everyone who replied and especially Barry, for the PDF and expert dissertaions about these ichnofossils. I will label them as Burrow infills until I find a reference with a (no pun intended) Generic and Specific name. I went back and found the old label which says they are from the Jacksboro area and possibly the Finis shale.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This is great stuff. I was shocked when I saw the initial post. We have found similar (in fact exactly like) traces from a few sites in North Alabama where the fossils are predominately trace fossils. I had pondered what they were, but finding this thread was great! The age is slightly earlier as the rocks are Mississippian in age.

Again great info everyone.

I have similar ones from the Penn in central Texas. I beleive the trace fossil idea as others mentioned. Infiled burrows.

I thought of yours when I saw those.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PS: Today I was paging through "Pennsylvanian Fossils of N Texas"

and noticed images of this fossil on pages 46 and 47 with

Conostichus identification B)

Posting for the purpose or our archive

There very well may be a similar mystery

post in the future

Barry

Edited by Indy

MAPS Fossil Show

Thanks Barry. I will have the look through my copy of that book again as I must have missed it!

-Dave

• 2 months later...

I have found them in the Kansas City Missouri area as well. I have questions as to the orientation of the item. Every one I have found has the 12 lobes on the top. They are never lobe side down. I have a couple different varieties of them as well. Some look like the growth pattern is from some form of draping or secretion. I have found others attached to shells, again, resting lobe side up when they were found.

Any pics of what you have found that we can drool over? :) I have seen similar formations for sale on E-bay from "larrysfossils" that are from the Bangor limestone of Mississippian age in Northern Alabama. He calls them Sea Anemone casts.

-Dave

• 6 years later...
On 8/10/2011 at 1:28 PM, Archimedes said:

They are placed with the Ichnogenus Conostichus

I have been told they believe they are the trace fossil an animal similar to a sea anemone

On some of your specimens you can see some of the ribbing pattern, typical, and on the bottom, not normally seen, is a 12 lobed pattern.

I have many from areas where you find interbedded shale/mud and very thin very fine grained sand lenses