September 2011 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

The weather has recently played havoc in the fossil hunting grounds of some members; so who knows what will be entered this month. :D Show us your best find!

The objective is to have fun. So carefully read the rules below, and go make some great finds! Entries will be taken through September 30th. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been

completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. You must include the common or scientific name.

6. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

7. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the Fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I do have a very interesting and unusual entry for September. This is a large pre-dinosaur amphibian track, it is 1 3/4 inches heal to middle toe pad. This is actually the largest example of an amphibian track I have found at this site. The second print on the stone is a front foot with three pads showing and is 1 inch from heal to middle toe pad. The mud push shows that it is a moving track. This one is very exceptional due to the size, depth and clarity of the pad indentations. With a magnifying glass, you can make out some of the skin impressions in the pads. Truly a great track. There is also a faint swim track from a reptile (claw marks) (the amphibians have no claws) on the same stone. Very unusual to find both on the same stone. Plainville, MA. The amphibians and reptiles from this era represent the first animal life to leave the water, explore and colonize land. I find it mind boggling that these footprints were already fossilized 150 million years before the first dinosaurs walked the Earth. (315+ myo). Found September 4th, 2011.

post-3786-0-06069500-1315580885_thumb.jpg

post-3786-0-55073000-1315580903_thumb.jpg

post-3786-0-62808700-1315608966_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhk

I think this might be Fossil of the Month worthy.

I found this specimen in July of 2009. I was on vacation with my wife's family at the Finger Lakes region of New York. After some reading and map studying, I went out searching for promising sites. I found a nice exposure of Windom shale and spent the next few hours splitting a lot of rock. I found plenty of brachiopods, a Greenops tail and part of a blastoid plate. When I split this piece I could see a spine in one piece and a few plates from the calyx of this crinoid. I was pretty sure I had an Acanthocrinus at this point and was very excited. I also recognized I didn't have the prep skills to pull this one off. I gave it to my friend and preparer extraordinaire, Scott V. He is very talented and busy, so it took two years for him to complete this project. He spent over 13 hours preparing this and returned it to me this weekend. He told me he removed 0.5 mm of matrix and then reinforced the spines with glue and continued this process. It was very chalky and difficult to work with. He completely exceeded my expectations.

When I saw it finished, my mind was blown. The free standing spines are simply amazing. It now sits very prominently in my display case.

Acanthocrinus spinosus

Windom shale, Devonian, Central New York

Found: July, 2009

Preparation Complete: September 2011

post-1687-0-49458100-1315781493_thumb.jpg

post-1687-0-90432700-1315781501_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt cable

truly fabulous find and prep Matt!!!:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

This is probably my largest find ever! It is a part of a giant clam from the Niobrara formation (mid to late Cretaceous). It was discovered on Saturday, September 3rd in southeastern Gove County. But what makes this giant clam even cooler is the fact that there is about 30-40 small fish inside of it!! It's not a case of the clam eating the fish, but rather the fish would hide inside the giant clams to escape predators (some clams could reach more than 4 feet in diameter). The sea bottom was probably muddy and pretty flat at the time, so the clams would have offered a good hiding place. Clams are among the most common of fossils in the Niobrara formation, however little fish are incredibly rare. These fish range in size from 4 1/2 inches to about 6 inches. The details of the fish are amazing, almost every scale is preserved. The skulls are rather disarticulated. The bones in the skull are very small and don't hold together well after death. I have just barely started the preparation, and it will take many months to complete. The fish are mostly Omosoma garretti, the giant clam is some species of Inoceramus.

post-6661-0-22651300-1315836655_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-72285800-1315836726_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-78205700-1315836743_thumb.jpg

This is probably my largest find ever! It is a part of a giant clam from the Niobrara formation (mid to late Cretaceous). It was discovered on Saturday, September 3rd in southeastern Gove County. But what makes this giant clam even cooler is the fact that there is about 30-40 small fish inside of it!!  It's not a case of the clam eating the fish, but rather the fish would hide inside the giant clams to escape predators (some clams could reach more than 4 feet in diameter). The sea bottom was probably muddy and pretty flat at the time, so the clams would have offered a good hiding place. Clams are among the most common of fossils in the Niobrara formation, however little fish are incredibly rare. These fish range in size from 4 1/2 inches to about 6 inches. The details of the fish are amazing, almost every scale is preserved. The skulls are rather disarticulated. The bones in the skull are very small and don't hold together well after death. I have just barely started the preparation, and it will take many months to complete. The fish are mostly Omosoma garretti, the giant clam is some species of Inoceramus.

Boy, this sounds great, but where's the photo?

Boy, this sounds great, but where's the photo?

There were photos :unsure:

EDIT:

Yay! They're re-posted!

I merged & edited the two posts for clarity.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cordaicladus. It's a Cordaites branch with leaf scars. I found it at September the 8th and at the beginning thought that it's a Seed Fern stem. Then Bruno (docdutronc) corrected me and IDed as a Cordaicladus. I looked through Internet just to compare my find with other ones. To my surprise I found a specimen with very fine surface structure and extremely good preservation. For me the better specimens have only Bruno, Taylor and G. Langford. The geography of the found specimens is very narrow as well.

Specimens of

Hamburg Univ.

post-814-0-44773400-1315835818_thumb.jpg

Netherland website www.xs4all.nl/

post-814-0-85580100-1315835811_thumb.jpg

British Geological Survey website

post-814-0-85014400-1315847509_thumb.jpg

e-Bay suggestion

post-814-0-39062100-1315835814_thumb.jpg

Langford DB

post-814-0-69711800-1315835816_thumb.jpg

Taylor's book

post-814-0-74345900-1315835820_thumb.jpg

All that reasons said me you can try to compete with other very worthy of respect members :)

My find

Field image

post-814-0-12639000-1315836475_thumb.jpg

using sun

post-814-0-59408400-1315836246_thumb.jpg

microscope enlarging (leaf scar)

post-814-0-13061800-1315836268_thumb.jpg

Place: Donetsk, Ukraine

Edited by RomanK

This is probably my largest find ever! It is a part of a giant clam from the Niobrara formation (mid to late Cretaceous). It was discovered on Saturday, September 3rd in southeastern Gove County. But what makes this giant clam even cooler is the fact that there is about 30-40 small fish inside of it!!  It's not a case of the clam eating the fish, but rather the fish would hide inside the giant clams to escape predators (some clams could reach more than 4 feet in diameter). The sea bottom was probably muddy and pretty flat at the time, so the clams would have offered a good hiding place. Clams are among the most common of fossils in the Niobrara formation, however little fish are incredibly rare. These fish range in size from 4 1/2 inches to about 6 inches. The details of the fish are amazing, almost every scale is preserved. The skulls are rather disarticulated. The bones in the skull are very small and don't hold together well after death. I have just barely started the preparation, and it will take many months to complete. The fish are mostly Omosoma garretti, the giant clam is some species of Inoceramus.

OMG! What an absolutely AWESOME fossil! I have always known about the fish hidden under clam fossils that can be found in western Kansas. I have not been able to find one myself nor seen one in the field. Terrific specimen!

I do have a very interesting and unusual entry for September. This is a large pre-dinosaur amphibian track, it is 1 3/4 inches heal to middle toe pad. This is actually the largest example of an amphibian track I have found at this site. The second print on the stone is a front foot with three pads showing and is 1 inch from heal to middle toe pad. The mud push shows that it is a moving track. This one is very exceptional due to the size, depth and clarity of the pad indentations. With a magnifying glass, you can make out some of the skin impressions in the pads. Truly a great track. There is also a faint swim track from a reptile (claw marks) (the amphibians have no claws) on the same stone. Very unusual to find both on the same stone. Plainville, MA. The amphibians and reptiles from this era represent the first animal life to leave the water, explore and colonize land. I find it mind boggling that these footprints were already fossilized 150 million years before the first dinosaurs walked the Earth. (315+ myo). Found September 4th, 2011.

I'm always amazed at how you guys can "see" these footprints. Guess you develop an eye for them after a while. It would be neat to see the skin impressions.

Daryl.

I am very excited about the September Fossil of the month!!!! I am going to do a little sunset fossil hunting now.

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Great finds!!!! Thanks for sharing!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Hello all.

Actually impressive participations so far but I have to add my little one.

It's the first marine ichnofossil I have found sofar.

I don't know if the pics do the justice but having it in hand I am excited with it.

Fossil: Shipworm borings of several types spread all over a fossilized piece of wood.

Dimensions (of the wood piece): 33 x 7 cm

Place: Middle Crete island, Greece.

Found on: Sunday, 11 Sep. 2011.

Good luck everyone.:)

post-4345-0-29195400-1316114172_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-41254900-1316114182_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-61102400-1316114199_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-71002000-1316114215_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hi Astrinos,

I found an answer for you on this fascinating and spectacular fossil. According to Professor Retallack these are actually shipworm borings in fossil wood, similar to the Oregon Cenozoic ichnogenus, Martesites.

From The Fossil Book:

"Shipworms" are not worms at all; they are clams whose valves are often quite small and have become small rasping organs and two little plates that seem to protect the siphons. The young shipworm hatches in the spring, swims for a week or two, and then settles down on a sunken log or some other form of wood. Into this the clam bores, making a tube which it lines with a thin calcareous layer. When shipworms are common, they fill large timbers with their borings, making the the wood so weak that it crumbles under the impact of waves.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hello, Scott.

A hearty thanks to you and to Prof. Retallack for the correct id.:rolleyes:

I am trying an edit ;):)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

My pleasure Astrinos! This is really a fabulous ichnofossil. Much more exciting as it tells the story of this animal and its mode of life and habit. Crete and Oregon are very similar for such an incredible variety of fossil fauna and flora.

Your collection is simply amazing! :D:):D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

My pleasure Astrinos! This is really a fabulous ichnofossil. Much more exciting as it tells the story of this animal and its mode of life and habit. Crete and Oregon are very similar for such an incredible variety of fossil fauna and flora.

Your collection is simply amazing! :D:):D

Thanks, Scott ;)

Nice coincidence indeed :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I am sorry... I just gave a fast look to the big not detailed 1st photo, not realizing how beauty is this slab. Congrats :)

Nando

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

This is probably my largest find ever! It is a part of a giant clam from the Niobrara formation (mid to late Cretaceous). It was discovered on Saturday, September 3rd in southeastern Gove County. But what makes this giant clam even cooler is the fact that there is about 30-40 small fish inside of it!! It's not a case of the clam eating the fish, but rather the fish would hide inside the giant clams to escape predators (some clams could reach more than 4 feet in diameter). The sea bottom was probably muddy and pretty flat at the time, so the clams would have offered a good hiding place. Clams are among the most common of fossils in the Niobrara formation, however little fish are incredibly rare. These fish range in size from 4 1/2 inches to about 6 inches. The details of the fish are amazing, almost every scale is preserved. The skulls are rather disarticulated. The bones in the skull are very small and don't hold together well after death. I have just barely started the preparation, and it will take many months to complete. The fish are mostly Omosoma garretti, the giant clam is some species of Inoceramus.

That is one great fossil, to me it is equivalent to finding a Cretaceous shark remains with the cartilage and teeth. This assemblage has to be extremely rare as discoveries go, simply fantastic--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This is my entry.. Found September 20th, 2011

Age is Pennsylvanian

Formation Bridgeport Shale

Location Texas

It is a actinopterygian,( probably a small paleoniscoid) endocast of the brain showing..

Fish

I had to update the ID

post-13-0-85728500-1316559020_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

This is my entry.. Found September 20th, 2011

Age is Pennsylvanian

Formation Bridgeport Shale

Location Texas

It is a (probable shark) fish skull with an endocast of the brain showing..

Possible juvenile

post-13-0-85728500-1316559020_thumb.jpg

Wow that is amazing Roz!

PL

Here is my vertebrate entry:

Remains from 2 different Placoderms on same fossil plate.....

As indicated by plastic pipette and small screwdriver....

post-420-0-34443800-1316616483_thumb.jpg

Found Sept 4, 2011.

Middle Devonian

Near Arkona ON

Hamilton Group

Id by Dr Bob Carr commented "That is a ptyctodont lower tooth plate."

post-2446-0-44979500-1316567882_thumb.jpg

found on the same plate a Protitanichthys Placoderm Armor

post-420-0-46096300-1316616846_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-89783300-1316616865_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-87267100-1316616889_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan