Round Decsending Circles In Sandstone Base?

Kehbe

post-7046-0-57071900-1317608164_thumb.jpg

I found this fossil in Northwestern Missouri but it may have been brought here from somewhere else as there was a lot of gravel in the area I found it that did not look native to the area. I took this picture on a piece of graph paper with 1/4" grid but the actual dimensions are as follows. This piece is 3/8" in thickness at it's thickest point and is 1-3/8" long x 1" wide. the circles are from largest to smallest, 1/4", 3/16", 1/8" and 3/32". The base (matrix?) material is somewhat "chalky" and the outlines of the circles appear to have tiny flecks of crystal in them, if that makes any sense. I would have to guess, and it is only a guess, that it is plant material or could it be marine. Thanks for looking! If I need to take more pictures I can.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Not a clue Graptolite

Im sure someone has a better answer.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Kind of looks like a partially cross-sectioned internal mould of a gastropod, the crystals being calcite.

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Any chance of pictures from other angles?

My guess is that we are looking at something in cross-section, .. possibly a gastropod?

Interesting, whatever it is . :unsure:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Kind of looks like a partially cross-sectioned internal mould of a gastropod, the crystals being calcite.

Great minds, Steve...;)

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Any chance of pictures from other angles?

My guess is that we are looking at something in cross-section, .. possibly a gastropod?

Interesting, whatever it is . :unsure:

Regards,

I will take more pictures from different angles tomorrow and post.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Great minds, Steve...;)

Regards,

You mean it is a snail shell cut in half like this picture post-7046-0-10583100-1317617064_thumb.png or cut through it on one plane or another, right?

Charles Darwin

You got it! Here's another mind thinking alike. But it would rather have a turritella shape than the type you showed unless it's just a half. Or maybe not, since we should also be seeing the spiral wall on the inside. Or maybe it's just from the edge of a flat spiral one, now that I've thought about it some more. It could also be the cross section from half of some kind of spiral cephalopod since the circles dwindle in size going down, but I also tend to gastropod. There are a number of possibilities anyway. The best solution is to free it up from the matrix if you've got the equipment.

Roger

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

You mean it is a snail shell cut in half like this picture post-7046-0-10583100-1317617064_thumb.pn or cut through it on one plane or another, right?

Roger is correct.

See my link---------> HERE. :) and HERE.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Something about it doesn't look right to me for a cross-sectioned Turritella. My first thought was that the upper (larger) two round things and the 'linkage' between them constituted a cross-sectioned coiled cephalopod with a similar thing coincidentally juxtaposed below, but I'm not sure of that either. Best to wait for better pics I guess..

Something about it doesn't look right to me for a cross-sectioned Turritella. My first thought was that the upper (larger) two round things and the 'linkage' between them constituted a cross-sectioned coiled cephalopod with a similar thing coincidentally juxtaposed below, but I'm not sure of that either. Best to wait for better pics I guess..

I agree...I don't think it's Turritella but the mystery shape is kinda sorta

on the same concept and I too am looking forward to seeing some HQ images

taken outside utilizing natural full sunlight to clearly see the detail

:pic:

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Yes, I think more photos will help. In the mean time I'm thinking maybe its a cross section of the sponge Girtyocoelia but my knowledge of the stratigraphy of Northwestern Missouri is pretty limited.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Yes, I think more photos will help. In the mean time I'm thinking maybe its a cross section of the

sponge Girtyocoelia but my knowledge of the stratigraphy of Northwestern Missouri is pretty limited.

JKFoam

Cross section of the sponge Girtyocoelia ...

Never thought about this variable :)

post-6417-0-93242100-1317744068_thumb.jpg

Website link: Click Here

Although the sponge Girtyocoelia has some interesting similarities...

I don't think Girtyocoelia is known from Missouri :o

Edited by Indy
  • I found this Informative 1

MAPS Fossil Show

Yes, I think more photos will help. In the mean time I'm thinking maybe its a cross section of the sponge Girtyocoelia but my knowledge of the stratigraphy of Northwestern Missouri is pretty limited.

JKFoam

Well, honestly, sponge was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the image in the OP.

So, this is as good a guess as any mollusk at this point.

The size ("the circles are from largest to smallest, 1/4", 3/16", 1/8" and 3/32"") really seems to fit Girtyocoelia as well.

I could totally see the gastropod thing going on there, except for the fact that the individual round things don't appear to taper or twist, but seem fairly regular in their roundness as separate pieces from each other.

Again though, better pics will probably help a lot.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your input and thoughts on this piece. After hearing your ideas I am leaning toward the 'gertyocoelia beedi' sponge idea. That would explain why there is no evidence of it on the back side of the matrix. I took some more pictures from different angles but had to crop them to be able to upload them here. Other than that I did not change them in any way and tried to get as clear a picture as possible in outdoor light. Hope this helps. Thanks again! South Clinton county near Lathrop Missouri.

post-7046-0-57137000-1317910601_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-16107900-1317910622_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-70565300-1317910641_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-92361200-1317910661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

I am leaning toward the 'gertyocoelia beedi' sponge idea....

Very good pictures...Thanks

Originally, I questioned if Girtyocoelia have been reported from Missoui.

Just double checked and found they have been reported from MO - My link

The sponge Girtyocoelia appears to me to be the only shape that seems

to match the mystery fossil. Will be following this thread to read

what others have to say

Collected in North East Missouri...Large area ;)

In order to determine the Geology (time period)...

:o Can you be more precise? IE County and nearest city

Edited by Indy

MAPS Fossil Show

I think that Girtyocoelia in cross section is the best fit.

I had never heard of this sponge before, and am glad to learn something new here. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Attached is a cross-section of Girtyocoelia from the Treatise volume of Porifera. The spheroidal segments connected by a continuous, narrow, central tube or cloaca is fairly conclusive proof. Having said that, it should be mentioned that there are a few other North American genera described that exhibit the same morphology. Congratulations on a fantastic fossil sponge! :)

post-4301-0-46521100-1317950626_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Attached is a cross-section of Girtyocoelia from the Treatise volume of Porifera. The spheroidal segments connected by a continuous, narrow, central tube or cloaca is fairly conclusive proof. Having said that, it should be mentioned that there are a few other North American genera described that exhibit the same morphology. Congratulations on a fantastic fossil sponge! :)

post-4301-0-46521100-1317950626_thumb.jpg

Cross-section of Girtyocoelia from the Treatise volume of Porifera

Impressive reference for the ID card B)

Thanks, piranha

MAPS Fossil Show

Hey I want to thank all you guys for your help with this ID. I am going to try a little harder to figure them out on my own first before posting for help. I wish I had kept better records because I have been going through some of the stuff I have found over the years and I remember thinking to myself many times, "Heck, I'll remember where I found this!" Yeah right, famous last words! But seriously, thanks again!

Charles Darwin

Locality and Geology is very important information to know when

attempting identification ;)

If Geology is not known...then the State and County and nearest City

can be posted...With this information...Geology may be determined.

More specific information about the locality where the Girtyocoelia

was collected would be of interest...Because I have never found

any in Missouri

Edited by Indy

MAPS Fossil Show