Phyllocarids

mikeymig

Each year I put up a display of fossils for the Rochester Gem&Mineral show and this year I’m going to display Phyllocarids. I know that most people have never heard of a Phyllocarid and most fossil collectors have never seen one, let alone have one in their collection. I find one or two each season and complete specimens are ultra rare. I hope you enjoy looking at them. ECHINOCARIS - Middle Devonian (408 – 360 million years old), Livingston County, New York

post-7129-0-60046400-1318620581_thumb.jpg

post-7129-0-88465500-1318620635_thumb.jpg

post-7129-0-73556100-1318620684_thumb.png

post-7129-0-35002100-1318620700_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Thanks for posting those. It's good for the forum to feature lesser-seen kinds of organisms as well all the crowd-pleasers. I've seen some phyllocarids from the Cambrian of Utah.

Each year I put up a display of fossils for the Rochester Gem&Mineral show and this year I’m going to display Phyllocarids. I know that most people have never heard of a Phyllocarid and most fossil collectors have never seen one, let alone have one in their collection. I find one or two each season and complete specimens are ultra rare. I hope you enjoy looking at them. ECHINOCARIS - Middle Devonian (408 – 360 million years old), Livingston County, New York

Very interesting! Thanks for posting these!

Had no idea they could be found in New York!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow, very cool, Ive never seen a Pyllocarid before, might need to make a trip up to NY and see if I can find one. are they rare?

Each year I put up a display of fossils for the Rochester Gem&Mineral show and this year I'm going to display Phyllocarids. I know that most people have never heard of a Phyllocarid and most fossil collectors have never seen one, let alone have one in their collection. I find one or two each season and complete specimens are ultra rare. I hope you enjoy looking at them. ECHINOCARIS - Middle Devonian (408 – 360 million years old), Livingston County, New York

Fantastic!

I have also found phyllocarid from Hamilton Group, Mid Devonian from Arkona

post-2446-0-46044700-1318733842_thumb.jpg

Late Silurian Bertie Group Williamsville formation:

post-2446-0-24905100-1318734047_thumb.jpg

I always enjoy seeing phyllocarids. I have several different species in my collection.

Here is a picture of a complete Rhinocaris and a Nahecaris from Bundenbach Germany

post-1202-0-79523200-1318791503_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-87374000-1318791677_thumb.jpg

Here are 2 more species from the Mazon Creek deposit.

The first is an example of Kellibrooksia macrogaster

The second is an example of Dithyrocaris sp

post-1202-0-98709600-1318792034_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-48766000-1318792203_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-39253200-1318948870_thumb.jpgHere's a couple of images that might be of interest.

The first is a phyllocarid mandible which I found in the Mid-Devonian Wanakah Shale of Western NY. It's about 2cm. The second is a description of a phyllocarid's morphology showing the location of the mandibles. Think of them as internal teeth.

A friend of mine found an incredible specimen in the Silurian Bertie Limestone. I saw it in situ and it was amazing. The carapace was missing so the segments and appendages normally covered were revealed. It also had a nice telson. He promised me a photo after it's prepped. I'll be sure to post it on the Forum.

I wonder how many phyllocarid carapaces I've overlooked because they are so nondescript?

Tom

post-4534-0-32518100-1318949042_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOM BUCKLEY

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

post-4534-0-39253200-1318948870_thumb.jpgHere's a couple of images that might be of interest.

The first is a phyllocarid mandible which I found in the Mid-Devonian Wanakah Shale of Western NY. It's about 2cm. The second is a description of a phyllocarid's morphology showing the location of the mandibles. Think of them as internal teeth.

A friend of mine found an incredible specimen in the Silurian Bertie Limestone. I saw it in situ and it was amazing. The carapace was missing so the segments and appendages normally covered were revealed. It also had a nice telson. He promised me a photo after it's prepped. I'll be sure to post it on the Forum.

I wonder how many phyllocarid carapaces I've overlooked because they are so nondescript?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have some nice mandibles "jaws" that I have found and if you get to the Rochester Gem and Mineral show this weekend u can see them in a display im doing. Most people will walk by the display cuz it won’t be filled with shiny pretty rocks just dead things. In all of my years of collecting I have found only one complete Phyllocarid in situ and he still needs preppin.

HAPPY COLLECTING

Mike

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Hi Tom,

I have some nice mandibles "jaws" that I have found and if you get to the Rochester Gem and Mineral show this weekend u can see them in a display im doing. Most people will walk by the display cuz it won't be filled with shiny pretty rocks just dead things. In all of my years of collecting I have found only one complete Phyllocarid in situ and he still needs preppin.

HAPPY COLLECTING

Mike

Mike,

I'm sorry but I won't be going to the show. I work on the weekends.notfair.gif

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Hi Tom,

Nice string on those little known arthropods. When you set your sights for these neat little critters, they do get around. From the Cambrian, I have collected them in the Burgess Shales as Anomalocaris, Isoxyis, Odaraia, Canadaspis and Tuzoia species and in Utah in the Spence and Wheeler shales as Tuzoias and Pseudoarctolepis. From the Ordovician, I have collected them in the Idaho Trail Creek Graptolite beds as Caryocaris. From the Silurian, I have collected them in the Bertie Dolostone and Eramosa as Ceratiocaris. From the Devonian, I have locally collected them in my home state in Hamilton Shale and Chemung Shale as Echinocaris and Rhinocaris. Lastly, I have found them in Mazon nodules as higher order Malacostras(not true Phyllocarids).

My first Phyllocarids were the result of looking for Eurypterids and finding three forked tail things with a different carapace. Viola- Phyllocarid!

I hope someday I can make it up to Rochester to see your display. I always want to make the show, but never actually get to go.

Heres a real rare one I found in 2006- ECHINOCARIS whitfieldi, Upper Devonian, Hatch fm., Ontario County, NY.

post-7129-0-01309300-1319057615_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

Hi Tom,

Nice string on those little known arthropods. When you set your sights for these neat little critters, they do get around. From the Cambrian, I have collected them in the Burgess Shales as Anomalocaris, Isoxyis, Odaraia, Canadaspis and Tuzoia species and in Utah in the Spence and Wheeler shales as Tuzoias and Pseudoarctolepis. From the Ordovician, I have collected them in the Idaho Trail Creek Graptolite beds as Caryocaris. From the Silurian, I have collected them in the Bertie Dolostone and Eramosa as Ceratiocaris. From the Devonian, I have locally collected them in my home state in Hamilton Shale and Chemung Shale as Echinocaris and Rhinocaris. Lastly, I have found them in Mazon nodules as higher order Malacostras(not true Phyllocarids).

My first Phyllocarids were the result of looking for Eurypterids and finding three forked tail things with a different carapace. Viola- Phyllocarid!

I hope someday I can make it up to Rochester to see your display. I always want to make the show, but never actually get to go.

Wait - I havent met you before, how have you collected from such sites as Burgess and Eramosa, etc.?? Just curious, no agenda.

Fossilcrazy is a very prolific advance collector with ties to ROM excavation team at one point in time : ) ... I first met him at the Bertie Lagerstatte a few yrs back....