Never Seen This Before....austin Chalk

surfergirlatx

Greetings TFF!

Yesterday I was able to go on another hunt in the Austin Chalk Central Texas.

Several clams Inoceramus (Cremnoceramus) and nice shell fragments...then I found this piece in question shown below. I have never seen anything like it before on my hunts. Due to the nature of the shape, I was hoping that someone here has seen this type of fossil before.

#1. post-6873-0-78120100-1328380549_thumb.jpg Front

#2. post-6873-0-32554000-1328380541_thumb.jpg Side

#3. post-6873-0-81848300-1328380535_thumb.jpg Back - note the iron deposit....also have not seen this on a fossil before.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your time,

Kim

Edited by surfergirlatx

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Don't have a clue, glad you aren't afraid of spiders in pix #1

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks for pointing out the spider.....I honestly didnt even notice it until I began to view the pictures. oops!

So now I have learned that when taking home fossils...and there is webbing on the piece...remove webbing prior to bringing piece inside.....live and learn :)

Edited by surfergirlatx

Surfergirl----Beware what you bring home---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Congrats on your finds. I agree with the others regarding the cast of the ammonite section. I hope you find a whole one soon. :)

I am confused as to what you mean by "Austin Chalk (San Vicente) Group" as relates to the Austin Group or Division? I'm not familiar with any member or formation in the Austin Chalk known by that name. There is a San Vicente Member of the Boquillas Formation in the Big Bend area of Texas that correlates to part of the Central Texas Austin Division, but it is not recognized as part of the stratigraphic column in the Jarrell area.

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Congrats on your finds. I agree with the others regarding the cast of the ammonite section. I hope you find a whole one soon. :)

I am confused as to what you mean by "Austin Chalk (San Vicente) Group" as relates to the Austin Group or Division? I'm not familiar with any member or formation in the Austin Chalk known by that name. There is a San Vicente Member of the Boquillas Formation in the Big Bend area of Texas that correlates to part of the Central Texas Austin Division, but it is not recognized as part of the stratigraphic column in the Jarrell area.

;)

Very exciting indeed to find a ammonite section that looks like this one!!! Hoping to find a better one soon!

I only said San Vicente Group as that is what the HGMS book says for the Austin Chalk???

THIS has some good geologic info for that area.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Austin Chalk ...

Living in Missouri and never hunted the area...I went to Wiki

The Austin Chalk is an upper Cretaceous geologic formation in the Gulf Coast region

of the United States. It is named after type section outcrops near Austin, Texas.

The formation is made up of chalk and marl.

Chalk and Marl ... that's soft matrix.

Correct me if I'm wrong...Fossils in this soft matrix should be super easy to prepare

and melt away when using a micro abrasive unit (air brush) :o

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Austin Chalk, Austin Group, San Vicente Group, San Vicente Member. Oy.....

There really needs to be a central clearinghouse for stratigraphic nomenclature and correlation.

Context is critical.

Noticed what what appears to be traces where

worm tubes were attached

post-6417-0-40359300-1328454488_thumb.jpg

Ammonite living chamber

Not being an ammonite aficionado...are we looking at a view of the orifice?

Would be interesting to see some comparable images (free of matrix)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Austin Chalk ...

Living in Missouri and never hunted the area...I went to Wiki

The Austin Chalk is an upper Cretaceous geologic formation in the Gulf Coast region

of the United States. It is named after type section outcrops near Austin, Texas.

The formation is made up of chalk and marl.

Chalk and Marl ... that's soft matrix.

Correct me if I'm wrong...Fossils in this soft matrix should be super easy to prepare

and melt away when using a micro abrasive unit (air brush) :o

Indy, obviously I am NO expert, but if I HAD to describe the matrix, I would say Chalk....The stone is white in color, the fossils are a tanish color, but only found once the rock is broke open. You hardly need a rock hammer as the matrix breaks so very easily.

I am about to post my hunting trip in the Kau (Austin Chalk) and hopefully that can determine what matrix we are in. Being that its Austin Chalk.....I am going with Chalk :)

Indy, I am a toothbrush and water kinda prep girl....not one for the micro abrasive unit (air brush) hahahahha :)

Edited by surfergirlatx

THIS has some good geologic info for that area.

JohnJ. Thank you for this excellent data source! This will help me greatly!!!!!

The Austin Chalk in Dallas is harder than my ex-wife's attitude.... Not soft at all. My diamond saw blade has a heck of a time with it.

There is a layer that produces very nice, large ammonites. Since you found that chunk, I would concentrate on that geologic strata. You should find more ammonites.

Hummmm.......any chance we could be looking at a Rhombopora lepidodendroides???

Some bryozoans built colonies that grew from the seafloor in branching structures; these fossils look like something like twigs. Almost all the fossils are fragments of colonies; only rarely is an entire colony preserved.

Source: http://www.kgs.ku.ed...s/bryozoan.html

Could someone maybe show me an example of an ammonite chamber? The only ones I am finding do not branch out like my piece does?

post-6873-0-87611800-1328573262.gif Rhombopora lepidodendroides

vs.

post-6873-0-13597000-1328573486_thumb.jpg Ammonite chamber

Source: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ammonoidea

I am the LAST person to every say a bryozoan but due to its branching...I am just confused. Could I ask for a bit of a more detailed explination or perhaps to see a ammonite chamber that branches out simlar to the piece I found?

I am TOTALLY open to constructive criticism and I promise you cant hurt my feelings.

Edited by surfergirlatx

The Austin Chalk in Dallas is harder than my ex-wife's attitude.... Not soft at all. My diamond saw blade has a heck of a time with it.

There is a layer that produces very nice, large ammonites. Since you found that chunk, I would concentrate on that geologic strata. You should find more ammonites.

Well Boneman007.....remind me to avoid the ex-wife :) kidding

The matrix here must not be "Austin Chalk"...I am leaning toward Marl...I only say this because its soooo soft. When wet it turns to mud, and you dont even need a rock hammer to break apart the rocks...you can simply pull the matrix apart with your hands....which can also be bad as I am destroying so many fossils.....live and learn. Thank you for helping me to better understand the geologic strata better. Thank you in advance for your time and kindness!

Kim

Edited by surfergirlatx

With your fossil, you are looking, not at a cross section, but straight-on at the surface of a chamber divider. Those convolutions are what create the sutures we see, where the septa meet the shell's walls.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

With your fossil, you are looking, not at a cross section, but straight-on at the surface of a chamber divider. Those convolutions are what create the sutures we see, where the septa meet the shell's walls.

Thank you Auspex, that does help to explain it much better. I genuinely appreciate your help! By any chance are there any pictures or literature that can better help me to visualize this?

Kim

Edited by surfergirlatx

I totally agree with ole auspex on this one. Not bad for a bird guy... (Ok, he does know a lot about all sorts of fossils).

Ok...I think I am starting to understand...I found this that somewhat explains the branching I am seeing:

post-6873-0-59012900-1328575580_thumb.jpg

Source: http://www.ukfossils.co.uk/guides/ammonites.html

Am I getting closer?

Again, sorry for all my questions and Thank you for you continued assistance.

Kim

I totally agree with ole auspex on this one. Not bad for a bird guy... (Ok, he does know a lot about all sorts of fossils).

Thanks JPC...I just was having a hard time trying to visualize the ammonite chamber from such a different perspective, but its all making since now.

Sorry to be such a pain in a rear :(

Bingo... that last picture you showed is exactly what you have found, only the preservation is different and you don't have the nacre like that specimen has. But it looks like it has helped you understand what you have. Nice find, so says I who rarely collects in TX.