March 2012 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

I figured I'd give this critter a chance at the IPFTOM this month since I recently dug him out of his concrete grave:

http://www.thefossil...r/page__st__580

MB is pretty sure about the ID, so I'll go with what he's said.

Chaceon helmstedtense (Bachmayer & Mundlos 1968)

Brejning Clay, Velje Fjord Formation,

Chatt B, Oligocene

PS on the 17th of March. The guys up in Denmark have their doubts on the validity of the above ID and have recommended that I keep it as a simple Coeloma sp. until a revision of these rare large crabs from Limfjord has been done. helmstedtensis has apparently only been positively identified in other parts of northern Europe.

Found in August 2011 on the beach at Mogenstrup, Limfjord, Denmark.

Finished preparing it on March 9th, 2012 after a long period of deliberation and practice on 2 other concretions beforehand.

post-2384-0-94647800-1331392141_thumb.jpgpost-2384-0-08314100-1331392194_thumb.jpg

post-2384-0-71514500-1331392228_thumb.jpgpost-2384-0-21452000-1331392260_thumb.jpg

WOW! That is one of the best fossil crab specimens I have ever sceen. NICE.

Here is a Metaxytherium (perhaps M. medium) tooth found yesterday 03.21.2012 in Maine-et-Loire, France (Miocene - Helvetian).

post-420-0-04567500-1332459887_thumb.jpg

Coco

Edit : it could be an Halitherium. "I lead investigation".

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

coco's got game this month...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi,

Kind Dan ! This month, there are so many beautiful things as I would like to have in my collection! I put my tooth to participate with the other attractive fossils. :D

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

WOW!!! There are some great finds on hear.... I am new to all of this and I am still trying to figure out how to enter this months contest?? I was out for a hunt just last week on the 16th and to my suprise i stumbled accross this great find and wanted to share it with all of you..... Hope you enjoy. This rear molar is off of a baby MAMMOTH. The tooth was found in a Pliestocene rework of a Miocene deposit Towards the east coast of NC. I wonder what happened?? Very interesting piece! I hope I find the rest. : ) If you like what you see let me know?? I will be showing new finds every week.

post-8250-0-64904400-1332521881_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-76723400-1332521883_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-81780600-1332521885_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-73193800-1332521887_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-72067900-1332521889_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-63287300-1332521891_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossils4U

WOW!!! There are some great finds on hear.... I am new to all of this and I am still trying to figure out how to enter this months contest?? I was out for a hunt just last week on the 16th and to my suprise i stumbled accross this great find and wanted to share it with all of you..... Hope you enjoy. This rear molar is off of a baby MAMMOTH. The tooth was found in a Miocene deposit Towards the east coast of NC. I wonder what happened?? Very interesting piece! I hope I find the rest. : ) If you like what you see let me know?? I will be showing new finds every week.

Its a Pliestocene rework of a Miocene deposit. (stream bottom, etc.)

A number of years ago myself and some friends were hunting a upper cretaceous deposit. It was very sandy with a lot of round rocks. I speculated that it was a pliestocene rework of a cretaceous deposit. (The cretaceous shark teeth were whitened somewhat)

After a few months of hunting the site, lo and behold, In the construction truck tire path, lay a baby mammoth tooth.

The argument about it being a reworked zone ended there!

Edited by Boneman007

My entry this month isn't very showy, but is a rarely found shark chondrocranium (braincase).

Collected -- March 8, 2012

Common name -- shark chondrocranium

Geology -- Ripley Formation, Selma Group, Upper Cretaceous, Maastrichtian

Location -- Lowndes County, Alabama, USA

post-117-0-04722000-1332561463_thumb.jpg post-117-0-35917500-1332561497_thumb.jpg

Wow the competition is definitely pretty good this month, great finds everyone! I'll get something in there this week...

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Its a Pliestocene rework of a Miocene deposit. (stream bottom, etc.)

A number of years ago myself and some friends were hunting a upper cretaceous deposit. It was very sandy with a lot of round rocks. I speculated that it was a pliestocene rework of a cretaceous deposit. (The cretaceous shark teeth were whitened somewhat)

After a few months of hunting the site, lo and behold, In the construction truck tire path, lay a baby mammoth tooth.

The argument about it being a reworked zone ended there!

Thank you for your help.... :) I bet that find had you baffled! The teeth sound to have been put through a serious oxidation to have become white! ( Burned by the sun ).. Or the fossils might have ended up in some yellowish white clay and fossilized that way by minneral absorption!? Well when you are digging you do have to go through the layers!!. I have not had that much luck in the cretaceous/ Eocene depposits I have been too. I would love to see it.. Mammoth teeth are such a scarce find... What other specemens did you collect from the site? Species? Any horse teeth, Mako's, Bison? Any other fossils from that time period? Nice to meet you! Thank you for the story. HAPPY HUNTING.

Wow! A SCARCE find indeed... NICE!

A lot of competition this month, but here is my entry.

Squalodon

Oligocene

South Carolina

Found 3/18/12

post-4422-0-65822600-1332385733_thumb.jpg

Today I went collecting at one of Oregon's Oligocene floras. This south-central locality is off the beaten track and not frequently visited by many fossil hunters. The ratio of complete specimens is dismally low but I managed to find a few nice plants to make the trip a success. As luck would have it the very last find was also the find of the day and spotted it moments before departing. It made up for mostly fragmentary finds and ironically just sitting there and almost tripped over it. Sweet reward as this matrix is dense and cherty requiring quite a pounding to split open. Although the competition is tough this month, it will be nice to have a plant in the mix among all of the exciting entries. The leaf still has the petiole attached and sits on a chunk of matrix over an inch thick. The color pattern looks like an abstract painting :)

Leaf - indeterminate genus / species

Oligocene - Little Butte Volcanic Series

Lane County - South-Central, Oregon

post-4301-0-26529400-1332643116_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

WOW!!! There are some great finds on hear.... I am new to all of this and I am still trying to figure out how to enter this months contest?? I was out for a hunt just last week on the 16th and to my suprise i stumbled accross this great find and wanted to share it with all of you..... Hope you enjoy. This rear molar is off of a baby MAMMOTH. The tooth was found in a Pliestocene rework of a Miocene deposit Towards the east coast of NC. I wonder what happened?? Very interesting piece! I hope I find the rest. : ) If you like what you see let me know?? I will be showing new finds every week.

Is that a metric scale? If so that's a 2" tooth! Of course I've seen inches divided into 10ths but I wanted to make sure. You did say it's from a baby but most of us will never see one in person.

I would like to enter my T Rex shed tooth . It was found March 25th. It was found in the Hell Creek Formation from the late Cretaceous period. I found it outside of Jordan Montana.

post-5476-0-31253400-1332723544_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-39376700-1332723577_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

THANK YOU! It is in inches..The tooth is right at a little over 4" long and only 2" wide.

Is that a metric scale? If so that's a 2" tooth! Of course I've seen inches divided into 10ths but I wanted to make sure. You did say it's from a baby but most of us will never see one in person.

I would like to enter my T Rex shed tooth . It was found March 25th. It was found in the Hell Creek Formation from the late Cretaceous period. I found it outside of Jordan Montana.

Congratulations Chele,

That is a wicked awesome tooth and I am glad that you found it. I hope that you find the Skeleton that belongs to it. Great finds are in your future.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Is it too late to pull my submission, then go run and hide?

Thank god my crab isn't a vertebrate!

This is a tooth to die for! Congrats!

Teeth, Teeth, Teeth!! Well if you can’t beat them…. At least try.

Here’s my Shark tooth found Saturday the 17th prepped that night through the 18th .

Petalodus Ohioensis

Pennsylvanian

Harpersville Formation

That is the best quality Petalodus I have seen. Great find.

Pretty nice finds this month, but I thought I'd enter my desmo tooth anyways. Its a nice find for me and it was from the march 24th dig in Bakersfield. Here is my latest find, even if its up against some stiff competition.

Desmostylus sp. molar

Round Mountain Silt, Miocene

Kern County, California

Found March 24th, finished prep March 28th

Joe

post-7398-0-63788900-1332984549_thumb.png

post-7398-0-79118100-1332984573_thumb.png

post-7398-0-66671000-1332984602_thumb.png

This month is ridiculous!

Has anyone ever gotten the yips just trying to place a simple vote?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Pretty nice finds this month, but I thought I'd enter my desmo tooth anyways. Its a nice find for me and it was from the march 24th dig in Bakersfield. Here is my latest find, even if its up against some stiff competition.

Desmostylus sp. molar

Round Mountain Silt, Miocene

Kern County, California

Found March 24th, finished prep March 28th

Joe

Isnt that a big tooth for the species? All the Desmostylus molars I have seen were smaller then this guy but then again, I have never had the pleasure of collecting that famous locality.

VERY COOL TOOTH!

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png