Storage A Different View?

Raistlin

Okay I have been searching and have found all sorts of great and beautiful ways to store fossils. However, I was struck with the idea of what if disaster strikes? For instance damage to your home through whatever cause fire, storms, earthquake, what have you.

I understand that at the time other worries will be on your mind but after all that is settled what about your collection that you have spent countless hours collecting and prepping and in some cases even money on? Sure you can find more fossils but in the end each is unique and not replaceable.

If I am correct fire can damage a fossil and so can the rough handling of a storm or earthquake. Does anyone store their collection or their best specimens in a special way? Do you have an insurance on them even?

Again I understand at the time there will be other worries, when all that is settled though is where this question is trying to reach.

Thanks for ideas.

Robert

Robert
Southeast, MO

I have heard of some folks putting the most valuable/rare pieces in a safety deposit box. I think it defeats the purpose since they are pretty hard to enjoy there. You could use a fire safe for the best if they will fit. I personally don't do much to protect them, but do realize disaster is always possible.

if my fossils get destroyed my wife will just have to give me some extra hunting time till I can replace them all :)

I have heard of some folks putting the most valuable/rare pieces in a safety deposit box. I think it defeats the purpose since they are pretty hard to enjoy there. You could use a fire safe for the best if they will fit. I personally don't do much to protect them, but do realize disaster is always possible.

Yeah I agree with putting them there no fun in that and no enjoyment. Which leaves me with the dilema of storage LOL.

I was sort of thinking a metal map/plans storage cabinet. Not sure how well that would protect though.

Robert
Southeast, MO

if my fossils get destroyed my wife will just have to give me some extra hunting time till I can replace them all :)

LOL I am lucky enough to have a wife that supports my interests and lets me do my thing. Today her and my son joined me and looked for fossils, and on a date weekend (son with grandma) she joined me and Ashcraft on a fossiling trip.

Robert
Southeast, MO

What about a large fireproof gun safe? Several of them have shelving in them and are very large, made to withstand high temps for long times.

I have home owners insurance. In case of a disaster it replaces up to certain amount of household items. I think you can have extra amounts(higher) if need be. I do know certain disasters would ruin or damage fossils or other collectibles. But like above if you must lock them away for safety of items then you are no longer enjoying them... If ever that times comes and they are gone, I will start over though some will withstand the tests of time I am sure. Maybe a little worse for wear but still there... Jeff

Edited by Tarheel59

Some good points. I want very much to enjoy my collection and my son certainly wants to enjoy them.

Also I guess even if one did carry extra insurance for them they would still be only replaced with like fossils.

Thanks for the imput.

Robert
Southeast, MO

i keep stuff of high sentimental value in the fireproof gunsafe, like my first trilobite. also highly portable stuff of high monetary value resides there, like a few rikers full of spear points and permian reptile matl. if someone breaks in and tries to steal eopachydiscus ammonites or any of the other hefty stuff, his efforts will be self limiting and the cops will be cuffing the guy lying in my front yard complaining about his back pain...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'm not sure how an insurance company would handle a claim for fossils lost or damaged in a disaster, but one key factor for getting a settlement would be having good documentation for the specimens in your collection. If you use a database program like TriloBase to keep track of your data, that means having good offsite backups of the database files should be part of your plan.

I realize that "good fossils" are in the eye of the beholder. However, the true value of fossils should be placed in their scientific value. Most important would be accurate record keeping, including not only collection data but also great images that someone else (museum or other reliable entity) has possession of. If the fossil should be gone, at least there would be a record of its having once existed.

Edited by mako-mama

I realize that "good fossils" are in the eye of the beholder. However, the true value of fossils should be placed in their scientific value. Most important would be accurate record keeping, including not only collection data but also great images that someone else (museum or other reliable entity) has possession of. If the fossil should be gone, at least there would be a record of its having once existed.

For me they are all good fossils for the most part. I have some that I enjoy more than others, but I really enjoy them all.

As for documenting things I am really starting that (well really starting everything and trying to learn it all). I am going to be using Trilobase for an electronic copy and then will also print out labels and have printed hard copies as well. I will also have the photo of each but will only have electronic of that (my back up though will be stored on photobuchet).

I know nothing of dollar value on fossils, don't really care to either. For me it is more about the as you said it the scientific worth as well as the value of the joy in my sons eyes when he sees them and wants to talk about them.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I keep mine here ...:) Ofd course if you do not have room for the Bat Cave a panic room would work............................. :P

post-6587-0-12817000-1336420976_thumb.jpg

post-6587-0-39832300-1336421220_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stingray