September 2012 Finds Of The Month

Cris

Lots of good entries last month! Time to start taking entries for the September finds of the month.

Entries will be taken through September 30th. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been

completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. You must include the common or scientific name.

6. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

7. Play fair. No bought fossils.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month. The maximum entries allowed by the Polling software will be selected for each contest by the staff.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the Fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I would like to submit these two albertosaurus teeth that I found on the 2nd of septmber. The were found in the horseshoe canyon formation and are from the cretaceous. The large tooth is 3.5" long.

post-6472-0-01792400-1346977377_thumb.jpg

Edited by rejd

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

I would like to submit these two albertosaurus teeth that I found on the 2nd of septmber. The were found in the horseshoe canyon formation and are from the cretaceous. The large tooth is 3.5" long.

NICE!

Nice teeth rejd!

This month I would like to sumit this enrolled Greenops widderensis. I finished the prep a couple of days ago.

post-3350-0-84501000-1347118096_thumb.jpg post-3350-0-10674100-1347118103_thumb.jpg post-3350-0-27517800-1347118117_thumb.jpg

Hamilton Group, probably Widder Formation, Middle Devonian

It measures about 1.8 cm wide and 3 cm from head to tail.

Edited by TMNH

Found Sept 1, 2012.

I returned to the same spot where I found a phyllocarid mandible element in 2010 and found

Cluster of phyllocarids on one large plate that broke up revealing many phyllocarids inside the slab, Hamilton Group, Mid Devonian ON Canada.

DSC05100a.jpg

DSC05038a.jpg

DSC05013a.jpg

DSC05036a.jpg

DSC05052a.jpg

wow good pieces already...!

my entry for now is this Archeolepas redenbacheri cirripede crustacean found on 26 august during my trip in germany and prepared on 2 september. It is tithonian age (upper jurassic) found in Hienheim, quarry known for the brittlestars layers for those who have enough courage. In Frickhinger's book about Solnhofen it is told that Archeolepas is one of the rarest fossil from the "plattenkalk"... (ok nothing to see with Archeopteryx but HAPPY ! :) )

002wov.jpg

my entry for now is this Archeolepas redenbacheri cirripede crustacean found on 26 august during my trip in germany and prepared on 2 september. It is tithonian age (upper jurassic) found in Hienheim, quarry known for the brittlestars layers for those who have enough courage. In Frickhinger's book about Solnhofen it is told that Archeolepas is one of the rarest fossil from the "plattenkalk"... (ok nothing to see with Archeopteryx but HAPPY ! :) )

002wov.jpg

Wow! Very nice find!

If bigger is better, then this is the worst fishfossil I have ever found. ;)

post-7084-0-79585200-1347361824_thumb.jpg

Fur Formation, Early Eocene, Denmark

The dimensions of the photo are 10 * 10 mm and the round things on the photo are actually shells from the algaes that make up the sediment.

post-7084-0-79585200-1347361824_thumb.jpg

The dimensions of the photo are 10 * 10 mm and the round things on the photo are actually shells from the algaes that make up the sediment.

I forgot

The fish was found 4 September where I had invited a school class out looking for fossils. One of the students found this Scorpaeniformes "Sculpin" on the same day

post-7084-0-94600200-1347447604_thumb.jpg

002wov.jpg

Cool! Ive only ever seen those in one of my books

post-7084-0-79585200-1347361824_thumb.jp

Sylvestersen,

Wow that's a tiny fish!

Congratulations on this find. :)

Well spotted!

Such a great variety of fossils this month. All are noteworthy.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great find! :envy:

Baby Great White

pliocene

Green mill run

Found september 15th

post-7255-0-22905400-1348016562_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-37387200-1348016566_thumb.jpg

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Slab of 6 or more Pycnocrinus dyeri crowns, Ordovician, Cincinnati, OH found August 10 and prepped September 17. I stopped short in prep due to lack of experience with this matrix, not wanting to over abrade and sacrifice detail. My best crinoid find to date.

post-22-0-13432600-1348018675_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Slab of 6 or more Pycnocrinus dyeri crowns, Ordovician, Cincinnati, OH found August 10 and prepped September 17. I stopped short in prep due to lack of experience with this matrix, not wanting to over abrade and sacrifice detail. My best crinoid find to date.

Great find! B)

That's a ballet in stone.

Context is critical.

That's a ballet in stone.

High art indeed! Since the specimen is wet I think we can assume Dan was openly weeping while taking the photograph. I myself would have fainted. :faint:

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

in my upcoming aug report i'll post a field shot, step by step prep shots, and closeups of individual crowns... too busy at the moment.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."