This Is Turning Out To Be One Heck Of A Year So Far!

RickNC

The 5.5" meg earlier this month and now this beast. I broke the root pretty good with my shovel but I did find at least one piece of it. The root is pretty brittle and actually soft inside. How can I prevent more of it from breaking off? Should I let it dry indoors and then coat it with something like glue?

When I saw this thing sitting on my shovel I actually yelled out loud and was visibly shaking for an hour afterwards. A very very rare find from GMR. I know at least one mammoth tooth has been found but I am not sure about a mastodon. :Dmeg%20dance.gif

100_1834_zps341c1ed4.jpg

100_1835_zpsbc93902f.jpg

100_1836_zpsd6bc755e.jpg

100_1845_zps7bb4ddee.jpg

Other finds worth keeping. The point is a really neat color but the tip is freshly broken. A broken mosasaur tooth in there too.

100_1837_zps2a06cba9.jpg

Edited by RickNC

Killer tooth!

Fossil of the month material IMO. :)

Congratulations on the great find.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Woah! Nice tooth!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

thats a really nice color too! that glossy black is awesome!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Wow. Congratulations on that terrific find. Awesome tooth. I'd hate to be that mastodon in need of root canal work.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Youre really killing it this year! Ive heard of mastodon teeth coming from GMR, I think that is the third now. Ive never heard of a mammoth tooth though. Great find and extremely rare for the location! Congrats my friend!

Mike

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Rick, if you want to try some Butvar to stabilize the root just shoot me a PM and I will give you some. I'm a Greenvillian now and not too far from Vidant.

Rick, if you want to try some Butvar to stabilize the root just shoot me a PM and I will give you some. I'm a Greenvillian now and not too far from Vidant.

That sounds good Ron. I just read about two different ways I can do this since I believe the soft inside of the root is sub fossil material. I can let it dry slowly in a chamber and then apply butvar. Or I can apply a water based consolidant such as Rhoplex.

An eight cusp GMR Mastodon tooth....Great Googly Moogly!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sweeeeet find! Very cool indeed- definitely a trophy!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!