Snakewood In Cs

silverphoenix

Had to verify that this was snakewood before I posted it since it's very rare to come across and it's pretty much the "gold" of petrified woods. Going to polish it when I have a chance--it's a pretty good size chunk and the coloring looks like it will be nice when it's done.

CIMG3158.jpg

CIMG3157.jpg

CIMG3156.jpg

CIMG3155.jpg

CIMG3154.jpg

That is beautiful stuff. Is snakewood a conifer or a hardwood? Is it an extant plant?

The snakewood cell structure is similar to that of a grapevine and not like anything alive today that is a tree.

Looks like a box of straws packed together when looked at "on end."

So we really don't know for certain that I've heard. I've only found a couple of pieces and this one is much bigger than average.

Can't wait to see a polished end.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Great piece of Snakewood! I have lots I've found over the years but I've yet to find one that large. Please show pictures when you get it polished. Are you going to face polish it? Where did it come from? Texas?

Snakewood still occurs in South America. It is one of the rarest and most expensive woods you can buy.

Curt

disambiguation - there is also a current wood called snakewood, but it is due to the pattern/color on the side and not the way the vascular/structural system stacks as viewed on the end.

That's a nice find!

Since there is practically no info out there on snakewood, I thought I would post a link to the one paper that I know of HERE.