Jelly, Jelly, Jelly Fish!

LanceH

It looks sort of like a Kirklandia texana with some erosion of the marginal lobes to me, but I'm on the east coast so what do I know.

To me, the impressions look too sharp-angled to have been made by such a soft-bodied creature.

Are jellies known from that formation?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's from a fine sandy-limey layer in the mostly clay Pawpaw formation. I think this is also the same layer that produces starfish and brittle star fossils. I was told jellyfish impressions are known from the formation but have I no documentation.

To me, the impressions look too sharp-angled to have been made by such a soft-bodied creature.

Are jellies known from that formation?

Purely an unscientific and unedumacated guess but it looks like an impression of the bottom of a Sea urchin with the big clublike spines. Was it just laying on top so someone could have made off with the goods before you got there?

Lance

Congratulations, it looks like a medusa to me. And it does look like the Kirklandia texana. Really nice specimen.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Awsome is right!

Do the Jellyfish Dance, Lance!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The paper makes a good case for them actually being some sort of "worm" burrow. The worm dug down and mined little pockets in a circle, dug down more, made more pockets, etc.

Here's a graphic:

post-11-1238937742_thumb.jpg

For now I got it under jellyfish on my website BUT with the alternate explanation also.

Very cool find! I took this pic in Burkett Tx. It's on display in someones front yard.

burkjelly.jpg

There is a creek nearby that I've been meaning to poke around in.

Good show Old Chap! You are one up on me with Kirklandia texana.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."