Jump to content

Horn Coral Action Figure


Recommended Posts

For those that don't live and breathe fossils like we do, horn corals are often mistaken for horns, claws, etc.  I knew someone who even swore the horn coral he had found was a fossil carrot, despite my insistence to the contrary.  So after finding my best horn coral specimen ever (the largest one in this trio is about 9 inches long), I decided to make a cast of the specimen and "reconstruct" it to show people what they may have looked like when living.  I know @caldigger will be very happy that there is now a horn coral action figure - complete with bioluminescence! :heartylaugh:

 

Fossil next to "reconstruction"

Resized_20200112_182453.thumb.jpeg.36094e88206c4b123ea23f34bda051e7.jpeg

 

"Bioluminescent tips" :)

Resized_20200112_182721.thumb.jpeg.70cd292406af5046d686e101f0e866e3.jpeg

 

@Bobby Rico, @Tidgy's Dad, @Nimravis

  • I found this Informative 23
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Misha said:

What do you use for casting them?

I would love to do something like this with some of my fossils

I use silicone rubber and two-part casting resin from Alumilite Corporation.  I'm wanting to do two separate brachiopod valves and manufacture a brachidium to put inside.  I might end up doing a whole Silica Fm. Diorama.

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jpc said:

nice work!

Thanks, JPC

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

horn coral he had found was a fossil carrot,

Are you telling me that it is not??? My whole life has been a lie. Please do not tell me the Earth is not flat :rolleyes:

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peat Burns said:

I use silicone rubber and two-part casting resin from Alumilite Corporation.  I'm wanting to do two separate brachiopod valves and manufacture a brachidium to put inside.  I might end up doing a whole Silica Fm. Diorama.

That sounds very interesting,

Keep up the great work!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Are you telling me that it is not??? My whole life has been a lie. Please do not tell me the Earth is not flat :rolleyes:

Bahahahahahahaha!  And only 6000 years old! :heartylaugh:

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

@Peat Burns, Does it come with Kung-Fu grip?

hahahahahaha.  Not yet, but I've been thinking of injecting some of that pink stuff and making a "stretch armstrong / monster horn coral"

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been waiting for this, what an amazing piece, proper work of art. :default_clap2:

Good job.

I can't wait for the addition of a couple of dozen species of brachiopod. :D

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your reproduction work, Tony. Those "living" corals look really cool. I hope you do create a whole Silica Formation diorama. That would be awesome. 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Been waiting for this, what an amazing piece, proper work of art. :default_clap2:

Good job.

I can't wait for the addition of a couple of dozen species of brachiopod. :D

 

 

1 minute ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations on your reproduction work, Tony. Those "living" corals look really cool. I hope you do create a whole Silica Formation diorama. That would be awesome. 

Thanks guys.  I'm having waay too much fun with this stuff :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really neat! I love seeing representations of how ancient life might have looked when it was alive. The bioluminescence is a nice touch!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FossilNerd said:

This is really neat! I love seeing representations of how ancient life might have looked when it was alive. The bioluminescence is a nice touch!

Thanks.  Although I can't take credit for the bioluminescence.  The fleshy part is aquarium anemones made of silicone that I found at Walmart, and they already had the glow-in-the-dark tips :)

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

horn corals are often mistaken for horns, claws, etc.

Let us not forget teeth!  :D

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I use silicone rubber and two-part casting resin from Alumilite Corporation

I’ve used this and it’s great stuff!

thats a great job! Looks good!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Are you telling me that it is not??? My whole life has been a lie. Please do not tell me the Earth is not flat :rolleyes:

 

4 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

 I knew someone who even swore the horn coral he had found was a fossil carrot, despite my insistence to the contrary.

 

I wonder if he may have been right al along. At least those "tentacles" sure look like carrots to me. :)

Great work!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool! Great coloring job too!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow you did it and it is fantastically created   . I hope it is the first in full set of The Devonian sea action figure range. With real glowing bioluminescence  that adds  so much to the fun. Adam must be getting excited because the Brachiopods play figure could one day be a reality.
Good work really cool . 
 

cheers Bobby 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done, but do they transform into robots or fight terrorists?

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Nicely done, but do they transform into robots or fight terrorists?

That’s left up to your own imagination in the wonders of play. :D

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done! If they only looked this good in the field, I would pick them up more often! :D 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

That’s left up to your own imagination in the wonders of play. :D

Imagination, what's that?! 

Oh, I remember. That was a term they used a long time ago when kids actually played outside unsupervised and talked to eachother with their mouths. ;)

Very nostalgic!

 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...