Show Us Your Pseudomorphs!

Frank Menser

Ok...this being a forum about Fossils, how about Fossils of minerals? So cough em up, let's see your Psuedomorphic Trophies!

First an obvious one. A nice eight inch chunk of Tigereye (quartz after asbestos)

Tigereye.JPG

And from Rumania, Chalcedony after Calcite.

Chalcedony Psuedo after calcite.JPG

Be true to the reality you create.

Wow I never even thought of fossilized minerals. I wouldn't know what to look for. Thats really cool Frank.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

It's really an under appreciated part of mineral collecting and more common than most are aware of. Some typical examples of replaced minerals are are Halite, Calcite, Azurite and (Below) Pyrite-in this case replaced by Limonite.

post-1313-12585594322963_thumb.jpg

Im sorry if this is a stupid question but how can you tell it was one mineral replaced by another.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Minerals each come from a distinct crystal system so all crystal specimens of a particular mineral should have the same shape. Sometimes they don't though, like the calcite crystals that are shaped like quartz crystals. The quartz went away after the crystals formed and was replaced by the calcite giving us quartz crystal shaped calcite, for example.

EDIT: You can then tell this happened with routine identification of the specimen in hand, like hardness, colour and specific gravity.

Edited by Bear

To add to Bears explanation: When you have a pseudomorph, you can narrow down what came before based on the chemical structure of the current mineral. Certain elements will replace atoms of similar size, resulting in predictable pseudomorphs.

Also, often pseudmorphs will be replaced from the outside inward. This can result in an outside "shell" that is a pseudomorph, with the original mineral in the center.

Whats very tough to identify are pseudomorphs of pseudomorphs...

Sorry, I don't have any pseudomorph pictures:(

Ihank you for explaining that to me guys, I was thinking it was probably something to do with structure.

Alfred North Whithead

..Whats very tough to identify are pseudomorphs of pseudomorphs...
I hadn't even thought of that! It would indeed be most difficult to ID in that case.

Your are most welcome, of course, ma'am. :D

Yes it can get very confusing. If you happen by the Aurora Museum, there is a large Psuedomorph I donated of Calcite sand after Calcite, which sounds weird. But what happens is the orrigional Calcite is disolved and the empty space is filled by Calcite rich sand. This process can happen over and over so the orrigional shape of the crystals may be altered or lost.

This, by the way is one reason why vertebrate fossils are so rare in S. Florida. After a couple of times through the process they are unrecogniseable.

post-1313-12586372887848_thumb.jpg

Note the center of this bone which is replaced by a mixture of Calcite crystals and sand. If left to nature the outter bone would eventually disappear making a cast that is not very much like the orrigional bone. It is common to find in S. Florida tubes of Calcite crystals that have replaced bone or coral with nothing left but a crystaline druse.

Edited by Frank Menser

Mudstone pseudomorphs after Halite. Specimen width 45mm.

Aust Cliff, South Gloucestershire (Bristol; Avon), England, UK

post-45-12587599685902_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Mudstone pseudomorphs after Halite. Specimen width 45mm.

Aust Cliff, South Gloucestershire (Bristol; Avon), England, UK

post-45-12587599685902_thumb.jpg

I like it... :D

Here is the Calcite Psuedo I mentioned above. It weighs a whopping thirty lbs!

post-1313-1259022270662_thumb.jpg

Hi all.

Here is a field photo of a piece of Manganese Dendrite that I found the last time I was up to the Camp horne fossil location in Pittsburgh Pa. I also found some nice Calcite crytals/pieces. Cleare skies to all and good hunting Paul. I have a lot of the calcite if any body would like some.

post-2013-12591086290661_thumb.jpg

post-2013-12591086616173_thumb.jpg

post-2013-12591087417383_thumb.jpg

post-2013-12591087469063_thumb.jpg

post-2013-12591087547816_thumb.jpg

post-2013-12591087604501_thumb.jpg

"Also, often pseudmorphs will be replaced from the outside inward. This can result in an outside "shell" that is a pseudomorph, with the original mineral in the center."

Limonite after pyrite on quartz (cubes in matrix and loose). Second photo shows remnants of the original mineral, pyrite, in the interior of the crystal, as described by TourmalineGuy.

post-117-12592747676393_thumb.jpg post-117-12592748025948_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...