Jump to content

Had a bit of luck in the Callovian


Recommended Posts

I went for my first proper collecting excursion in about a month yesterday (I don't count the bike trips to the shark tooth site, since that's more of a light snack). I'd decided to take another look at one of my old sites in the Callovian in the Wutach Valley. As is sometimes the case, I forgot my camera (sorry), so there won't be any on the site photos, but I thought I could at least show you the best finds which I just finished prepping. First a Pyrgotrochus macrocephali gastropod and then a Kepplerites sp. ammonite. Both are relatively seldom, so I was happy to add them to the collection. The last two are well-preserved Choffatia sp. and Macrocephalites sp. ammonites.

 

G280a.jpg.282df2caac4871ad5de12f66acffcecc.jpg

G280b.thumb.jpg.4214b00b5b7afe4be14ed6747f3aeb5e.jpg

 

A1547a.thumb.jpg.23ecf13bbecb94c77728b59b5eeb0f8b.jpg

A1547c.thumb.jpg.3f0ebac9d391b9ce12dc8b1e8b3469d6.jpg

 

A1548a.thumb.jpg.9e255dbaf5728461cba296fb2d9be489.jpg

A1548c.thumb.jpg.6af5a4db0177a8c3b1bfdd4d3af27c84.jpg

 

A1549a.thumb.jpg.27877f75808900fbf903fb67b231b99c.jpg

 

  • I found this Informative 18
Link to post
Share on other sites

Turned out very nicely!

I do like the Macrocephalites, at least on account of their plumpness (and I have a very fine example here from an ex-canuck :P). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

The gastropod's pretty nice, too. 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Turned out very nicely!

I do like the Macrocephalites, at least on account of their plumpness (and I have a very fine example here from an ex-canuck :P). 

Yes, they certainly are attractive, aren't they?

 

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The gastropod's pretty nice, too. 

I agree :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Those ammonites are beautiful Roger! As always!

Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete

Very nice Roger. The ammonite is spectacular.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look very good. Nice size too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations Roger on your excellent finds and prep. I can't get enough of your Macrocephalites, but that Kapplerites is exquisite. You're helping me devise a shopping list for the next time I come out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDAWG

More than just a "bit" of luck, I'd say.  Your ammonites always make me :drool::envy:

Don

Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilNerd

Great stuff! Glad you were able to break your month long dry streak. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice finds. I really like how tactile the Kepplerites and Macrocephalites look, it must feel nice to run your fingers along the keels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Norki @FossilNerd @FossilDAWG @Jeffrey P @RuMert @sixgill pete @Darktooth Thanks for your endearing comments everyone. Those ribs sure do have a tantalizing feel to them. I'll take you there the next time you come, Jeffrey, but you'll have to dig like a maniac the whole day with the hope that luck is with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful finds, Roger!  I do love your ammonites, but it's nice to see a gastropod in the mix this time, too!  Congrats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Monica said:

Wonderful finds, Roger!  I do love your ammonites, but it's nice to see a gastropod in the mix this time, too!  Congrats!

Thanks, Monica.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Everhardus

Nice finds. Your in luck still having the opportunity to go hunting....greetz,Marcel

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Everhardus said:

Nice finds. Your in luck still having the opportunity to go hunting....greetz,Marcel

Thanks Marcel. Aren't you allowed to collect right now in Holland?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Everhardus

We are allowed but since my main interest is ammonites i am dependent on sites out of Holland. So for me due to travel restrictions nothing is possible at the moment. I guess my France trip for this summer is not going to happen either so i am hoping in a month or 2 Germany wil lift it's restrictions. If so, i might even travel to the Watach area.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

  hi Roger.  Looks like you had a productive and fun trip.  Love the gastropod!

 

RB

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Everhardus said:

We are allowed but since my main interest is ammonites i am dependent on sites out of Holland. So for me due to travel restrictions nothing is possible at the moment. I guess my France trip for this summer is not going to happen either so i am hoping in a month or 2 Germany wil lift it's restrictions. If so, i might even travel to the Watach area.......

I see. If you do manage to get out this way, I'll be glad to show you around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RJB said:

  hi Roger.  Looks like you had a productive and fun trip.  Love the gastropod!

 

RB

Thanks Ron.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Everhardus

Thanks for the offer Roger ! We’ll have too see how everything evolves these next few weeks....

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice finds! Your Macro is very well shaped. What is its diameter?

If you have any calipers, can you measure thickness?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dimitris said:

Very nice finds! Your Macro is very well shaped. What is its diameter?

If you have any calipers, can you measure thickness?

6.5x 4cm. at the aperture.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...