Jump to content

Big Brook, NJ Toe bone (Phalanx) ID


FossilizedJello

Recommended Posts

FossilizedJello

Here are all my finds from big brook. WHAT A DAY ...arrowheads,toe bones, big shark teeth, misc

I just need the toe bone ID

 

toe.jpg toe1.jpg toe2.jpg toe3.jpg toe4.jpg toe5.jpg

toe6.jpg toe7.jpg

  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you had a great day; fantastic finds. In the future, it may be better to post this trip report in the Fossil Hunting Trips section of the forum. That toe bone looks nice. I am unsure whether your toe bone comes from a Cretaceous theropod or from a modern (Holocene or Pleistocene) organism. The preservation looks spot on for it being Cretaceous, and I would certainly get that bone checked out. If it begins to crumble over a few days or so you'll know it's modern. The "canoe"-like tooth you have is from a crushing fish, namely Anomoeodus phaseolus. It appears that you have a Trionyx (turtle) shell fragment in your second to last photo below the small tooth to the right of the bone. Additionally, to the leftmost corner of your last photo you have a ray tooth from Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis. Nice arrowhead too. Good job.

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilizedJello
On 6/12/2020 at 9:12 PM, Trevor said:

Looks like you had a great day; fantastic finds. In the future, it may be better to post this trip report in the Fossil Hunting Trips section of the forum. That toe bone looks nice. I am unsure whether your toe bone comes from a Cretaceous theropod or from a modern (Holocene or Pleistocene) organism. The preservation looks spot on for it being Cretaceous, and I would certainly get that bone checked out. If it begins to crumble over a few days or so you'll know it's modern. The "canoe"-like tooth you have is from a crushing fish, namely Anomoeodus phaseolus. It appears that you have a Trionyx (turtle) shell fragment in your second to last photo below the small tooth to the right of the bone. Additionally, to the leftmost corner of your last photo you have a ray tooth from Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis. Nice arrowhead too. Good job.

Hi, thank you. I figured I would post the other pics while getting the toe bone IDed. Next time, I will post it separately.

The toe bone does not appear to be modern. Gosh darn it is hard to tell at the moment, but now that I'm home with it,  I would definitely say fossil.

Cannot scrape any away , it's heavy,   .5 of an oz compared to a oz of a modern bone 5x the size and can say it will not crumble in the next year .

Did know about the turtle but not the species so thanks on that.

Yes the drumfish tooth is huge. Thanks for your post.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilizedJello
9 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Very interesting toe bone. Probably is theropod, something like Dryptosaurus.

@non-remanié @Troodon

Hoping, shame its broken too but its still a great find.

  • Enjoyed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like to see straight in photos of the phalanx of all sides, no hands please 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilizedJello
2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Like to see straight in photos of the phalanx of all sides, no hands please 

Hi, sorry what do you mean by straight in? :DOH:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at an angle like these if a Dryptosaurus

Screenshot_20200612-185906_Drive.jpg.7d98cd988d51a5ad7f0884317362ae6d.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilizedJello
7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not at an angle like these if a Dryptosaurus

Screenshot_20200612-185906_Drive.jpg.7d98cd988d51a5ad7f0884317362ae6d.jpg

 

Here are some extras but the ones that will help you the most are next

toeeeeeeee.jpg

toeeeeeeee5.jpg

toeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Sorry need the other side of your last photo looked odd from your initial post 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilizedJello
2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks, Sorry need the other side of your last photo looked odd from your initial post 

Whoops missed the pic in my mail last night of that side. Here you are. Because of the break, the bottom left goes on an upward angle, but im pretty sure if it wasnt broken it wouldnt.

111111.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, my read on the bone is that its not theropod but dont known what it is or if its even Cretaceous.   Theropod phalanx have ligament pits on both sides lacking here in this image.  Although hollow the internal structure is not smooth and the proximal end is a bit off.   

toe3.jpg.72c6455c4c385d797609d9d0d1da3738.jpg.149ef32581fd7ce41eccdeb787a6e516.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilizedJello
On 6/13/2020 at 10:06 AM, Troodon said:

Thanks, my read on the bone is that its not theropod but dont known what it is or if its even Cretaceous.   Theropod phalanx have ligament pits on both sides lacking here in this image.  Although hollow the internal structure is not smooth and the proximal end is a bit off.   

toe3.jpg.72c6455c4c385d797609d9d0d1da3738.jpg.149ef32581fd7ce41eccdeb787a6e516.jpg

 

Darn, Too bad to hear.

Maybe its more modern then we think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...
Zenmaster6
On 6/13/2020 at 9:19 AM, FossilizedJello said:

darn..sucks to hear. maybe its more modern then we think

By modern I'm not sure what you mean. 

This is very obviously mineralized and is at least over a few thousand years, But I'm willing to bet a few million. Probably Miocene or Pliocene.

Link to post
Share on other sites
PrehistoricWonders

It wouldn’t surprise if it was Pleistocene, which still isn’t modern. I’m really unsure though. Maybe Carnivorous Mammal?? Tricky one for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be off, but it reminds me of some sloth phalanxes that I have

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Jersey Devil

It's either Pleistocene or modern. Most likely an old modern deer bone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lorne Ledger

That toe bone looks like either big deer or elk to me at a glance.  Pleistocene probably.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...