Waco Pit Collecting Limit

AngieM357

Okay. I need some corroboration so I know I'm not losing my mind over here.

I go to the Waco Pit pretty often because I live close by. When I was there yesterday, the office guy told me there's a collection limit of 2 specimens. I asked for a copy of the paperwork so I could have it and it did indeed state 2 pieces.

When I was a kid, there was no limit. The last time I was there - last year some time with another person who agreed with my recollection - you were allowed 2 specimens from 5 different species, so a max total of 10 specimens. Then I saw a post here from only a few days ago saying that they were allowed 3 specimens last time they were there.

Would someone PLEASE tell me I haven't lost my danged mind. Have the rules changed a lot, is it the Mandela Effect, or do they size you up when you walk in and decide how much they want to let you take? :default_rofl:

By the way, I ended up with a shark's tooth and a beautiful pyritized ammonite. It was a gorgeous day and so quiet and serene that I actually ended up sitting down and taking an almost-nap.

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

ooohh...is it reopened?  I was there last year and the limit, as you say, is stated on the paperwork that it is 2 pieces. Go by the paperwork, not what you hear on the internet. 

Yes, they're reopened. And they replaced one set of steps but removed all the railroad ties. I recommend a hiking stick for balance because I needed one.

I mean, obviously, I'm going to do what the paperwork says, but I'm curious as to whether or not others have seen different collection limits.

1 hour ago, AngieM357 said:

Would someone PLEASE tell me I haven't lost my danged mind. Have the rules changed a lot, is it the Mandela Effect,

As to the rules, yes they have indeed changed.  When I first started collecting there 30 years ago, there were no limits at all and the grounds were actually littered with pyritized ammos, shark's teeth and other goodies.  Folks filled up their containers with fossils without any thought at all that the bounty could ever be depleted.  Compare that to today.  The pit is a mere shadow of its former self.  - - Rules are good.  For this site, they came about too late. :DOH:

As to whether you've lost your danged mind, I'm afraid I am not qualified to proffer an opinion without more information.  :shakehead:

As to whether this is the Mandela Effect, can you prove that it is not?  (I swear that I used to eat Jiffy peanut butter and that the old banker in Monopoly did have a monacle.)  :zzzzscratchchin:

Glad you had a good time at the pit.  It is indeed a fun place to visit.

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, AngieM357 said:

Yes, they're reopened.

Good to know that it has reopened.  I'll go there with some of my grandkids  that are interested in fossils, so at least we can collect two specimens each.  Where do you go to get the permit?

Russ

1 minute ago, KCMOfossil said:

Good to know that it has reopened.  I'll go there with some of my grandkids  that are interested in fossils, so at least we can collect two specimens each.  Where do you go to get the permit?

Russ

The ACoE office is open 8-4:30 M-F and they're located around the corner from the pit on Zoo Park (?) road. It's something zoo or zoo something off Steinbeck Bend. Honestly, just type in "Army Corps of Engineers" and "Waco" into Google Maps and it pops up.

5 hours ago, grandpa said:

As to the rules, yes they have indeed changed.  When I first started collecting there 30 years ago, there were no limits at all and the grounds were actually littered with pyritized ammos, shark's teeth and other goodies.  Folks filled up their containers with fossils without any thought at all that the bounty could ever be depleted.  Compare that to today.  The pit is a mere shadow of its former self.  - - Rules are good.  For this site, they came about too late. :DOH:

As to whether you've lost your danged mind, I'm afraid I am not qualified to proffer an opinion without more information.  :shakehead:

As to whether this is the Mandela Effect, can you prove that it is not?  (I swear that I used to eat Jiffy peanut butter and that the old banker in Monopoly did have a monacle.)  :zzzzscratchchin:

Glad you had a good time at the pit.  It is indeed a fun place to visit.

Thank you for making me laugh!